HVAC Duct on NM Wire

Old 06-18-14, 04:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HVAC Duct on NM Wire

As part of some HVAC work I recently had done, an additional duct was added to my system. Initially they ran the new duct with only the existing 14/2 NM wire supporting the duct in making the turn shown in the pictures below. I told them that that was not permissible and they fixed it by adding two duct supports before and after the wire.

My question is, is this an acceptable set up as it stands now? Itís definitely better, but itís such a tight situation that I cannot tell how much the duct is still resting on the electrical wire.

As the colors in the photo seem to all kind of blend in, the blue arrows are the supports they put in and the red arrows are the electrical.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-14, 04:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
HVAC installers are notorious for being hacks. I would call and complain and have them come out and run that ductwork properly.

Old 06-18-14, 04:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
That is likely the best the can do with that flex duct. It should not affect the cable.

I would be more concerned with the improperly supported cable going to the A/C that either the line set is strapped to the cable, or the cable is strapped to the line set.

Old 06-18-14, 07:03 AM
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
So long as the cable is not supporting the duct (the cable has some slack and is not pinched anywhere) and the cable is not touching sharp edges, it should be okay.

A duct or a pipe can provide support for a cable but not vice versa. Depending on the rigidity of the duct, it may or may not qualify as the one support every 4-1/2 feet that the cable needs.

Old 06-18-14, 07:03 AM
I would be more concerned with the improperly supported cable going to the A/C that either the line set is strapped to the cable, or the cable is strapped to the line set.
Could you please explain that a little more so I can explain it back to them when requesting it be corrected? I assume you're talking about the bundle of wiring/piping going from the air handler to the compressor. I can take additional pictures of that are if it would help to better describe it.

Old 06-18-14, 07:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Call them back and tell them to clean up their hack installation.

In fact, it violates NEC 300.11. You have what looks like a cloth covered cable supporting the duct. Also the zipties are not suitable for that Romex that is ziptied to the lineset. The only thing that should be ziptied to the lineset is the low voltage cable.

Tell them your not paying until the ductwork is run properly or that they send an electrician over to reroute those cables.

They should have told you that the wiring would need to be rerouted so they could do their job properly.