code changes in last decade

Old 06-18-14, 06:37 PM
code changes in last decade

My husband and I have been using Ray Mullin Wiring Residential and Richters Practical Electrical Wiring. However, we have older copies based on the 2002 NEC.

In regards to residential wiring, what major changes will we likely face (or error) by using these older books?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-14, 06:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's going to depend on what your local jurisdiction's code sequence is. Some haven't updated from the 2008, while others are right up to date. It changes every 3 years, so you could feasibly 4 codes behind.

Some of the changes you may incur will be the use of AFCI breakers. I believe 2011 requires them in all circuits, while previous editions only required them in bedrooms.

First find out which code edition you need to adhere to from the authority. Then you can decide how to deal with the deficiencies.

Old 06-18-14, 07:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The expansion of AFCI requirements are the biggest change followed by changes for additional GFI protection. Additional receptacles for porches and hallways come to mind also.

Old 06-18-14, 08:04 PM
Group Moderator
Off the top of my head (other than what has already been mentioned) GFCI protection for dishwashers (2014). 4 wire feeders to sub panels. Multi-pole breakers for multi-wire circuits. The use of tamper resistant receptacles in dwellings. Weather resistant receptacles outdoors. In use covers for outdoor receptacles. GFCI devices required to be readily accessible.

I'll think of more I'm sure.

Old 06-18-14, 08:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mind must be going. Didn't even think of the TR device requirement.