Setting up Push-To-Break Switch

Old 06-19-14, 05:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Setting up Push-To-Break Switch

Hello, first time poster here. I've tried searching for a relevant thread, but couldn't find anything that helped. So, here is my problem.

I want to set up individual push to break switches for my dresser, which upon opening each, will light up. I am hoping to use led strips, and put the switches in the back of the drawers.

I assume I will be using refrigerator switches, so my power flow would look something like:

outlet-power adapter-4pin adapter-leds-reverse 4pin adapter-switch.

Just looking for some guidance/corrections/information on the idea and how or if you would do things differently?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-14, 05:56 AM
Received 72 Votes on 67 Posts
Go to Radio Shack and get simple push-off switch. Similar to what car doors use to operate the dome light.

Old 06-21-14, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just FYI, you can get battery operated motion sensing lights for like 10 bucks. I put them in my kitchen drawers. I thought batteries would be a pain in the butt, but 2 years in I haven't had to replace any of them.

Might save you several hours and money as well.

Old 06-21-14, 12:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 370 Votes on 347 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You are looking for a normally closed pushbutton switch. When the drawer is closed the switch is open.

What you are trying to do is going to be difficult. The wiring part is easy but setting up a switch to work when you open and close a drawer will be tricky. The other thing is most pushbutton switches are not that durable and if the drawer was slammed shut.... they'd break.

I think I'd try to use a magnetic switch to do what you are trying to do. They don't have to touch and alignment is more forgiving. They are a little more costly though. The following is a link so you can get an idea.

Amazon: Megatronix - MGT - Magnetic Reed Switch Sensor Normally Open (N/O) / Normally Closed (N/C)