Bring electrical into shed

Old 06-19-14, 07:04 PM
Bring electrical into shed

Start off with a little backround.

I had a pool with a filter in my yard years ago that is now gone. I still have the post in the ground near where the pool filter was with a 120v 20 amp twist lock on it.

It appears that the power comes out the back of the house in conduit to a 20 amp outlet (assuming GFCI) then continues down in conduit and comes up on the post I mentioned.

This post is about 15 feet from the shed I had put in. Im planning on taking the box with the twist lock off and putting on some kind of regular 20 amp outdoor outlet in, then running conduit back down under ground and up into the shed.

Obviously I will turn off the breaker before i touch anything.

First off, Does anyone see anything wrong with doing this? I wont have to do anything in the main panel, all im doing is extending an already existing circuit about 15 feet into the shed.

Second, What type of conduit and what size?
What type of wire and what size? (For in conduit and then once inside the shed)

Finally, Anything else I need to know or should know or am forgetting?

Thanks,
Nick

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-14, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
" PVC conduit buried a minimum of 18"* with one each black, white, green #12 THWN. Code requires a disconnect at the shed. A 20 amp single pole switch such as used for lights will be fine.

*12" if GFCI protected.

Old 06-19-14, 07:58 PM
Group Moderator
I suggest going up to 3/4" PVC. 1/2" PVC is a pain to pull through, even with stranded wire.

Old 06-20-14, 05:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it is in conduit and you do not need the original receptacle you can dig down and extend the conduit and pull new conductors.

Old 06-20-14, 06:00 PM
I thank you guys for the replies, but I have 1 more question.

Once im into the shed and up to the disconnect point(switch) with the black, white, and green #12 THWN, what type of wire can I use to run from there up to the lights/down to the outlets?

Thanks!
Nick

Old 06-20-14, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
You #12 NM-b for interior wiring. From the disconnect run one one cable to the switch for the lights and one to the first receptacle. If the feed is not GFCI protected the first receptacle must be GFCI a subsequent receptacles fed from the load side. There are alternate ways such as running the receptacle cable from the same box as the light switch or using a two gang box for a switch and receptacle in the same box..

Note: some jurisdictions may require the NM-b to be protected below 6'7' if the walls are not enclosed. PVC conduit sleeves can be used.