Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

accidently short-circuited living room circuit and can't reset at breaker

Old 06-19-14, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I accidentally plugged in an extension cord w/o a cord cap yet on the other end. I stupidly hadn't screwed on the cord cap yet... long day... Immediately after, the circuit shorted and all of the power in that circuit went out but the breaker was never tripped in the fuse box. I unplugged the cord & reset the breaker for this circuit (even though it didn't appear to have been tripped). No luck. Next, I disconnected everything (including light bulbs) I could in the circuit, and systematically flipped each breaker for the entire house. The circuit is still not live. What do I do next??? Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-14, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 372 Votes on 349 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You need to identify everything on that circuit. Then determine what is working and what is dead. The problem will usually be at the last working item or the first dead item.

A typical problem would be where the wires are pushed (backstabbed) into the back of a receptacle and came loose.

Old 06-20-14, 05:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
Have you tried to turn the breaker all the way off and then on?

Old 06-20-14, 05:05 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I agree with pcboss. Many times on some breakers it is hard to tell if the breaker is actually off or just tripped and even though you throw it all the way to one side and then try to reset it you may not be pushing it all the way to the off position prior to attempting to reset the breaker thus giving you the impression it will not reset. I would reset all breakers properly and be sure you go one by one and make sure you acutally shut it off all the way to one side and then push it back the other way to reset it. If there is a lot of play on the breaker that is a clue you are not turning it all the way off first before trying to reset it.