Troubleshooting light flickering/loss of power

Old 06-20-14, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Troubleshooting light flickering/loss of power

Hello All! We have a problem in our house (bulit in 1958) that is running us crazy..So what happened is that recently, especially at night , some lights start flickering and the power goes off, sometimes for 5 seconds, but up to 5 minutes.. We already had the electric company come check their side, and an electrician that checked the breakers (and changed a couple that were likely failing). He also inspected all of the receptacles for loose neutral, but all they were looking good (he put some wire nuts on some neutral that were only taped together). Now we are going to wait and see if this fix the problem, but the weird thing that happens, and the electrician does not know how to explain, is that whenever the lights goes off, usually also either the fridge and some outlets (which are in a separate circuit) goes off even if they are in a separate circuit, or if is not the fridge, the oven goes off (again on a separate circuit). So my question is how is possible, that "problems" in one circuit, can affect other circuits?
I hope is clear enough, no really knowledge of the matter here :-)
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-14, 03:53 PM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
Did he also check the connections to the line side of the main circuit breaker? I assume the POCO checked the connections inside the meter socket.
Geo

Old 06-20-14, 07:52 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
the electrician does not know how to explain, is that whenever the lights goes off, usually also either the fridge and some outlets (which are in a separate circuit) goes off even if they are in a separate circuit, or if is not the fridge, the oven goes off (again on a separate circuit). So my question is how is possible, that "problems" in one circuit, can affect other circuits?
That isn't hard to explain at all, the problem is ahead of the branch circuit breakers. It could be at the main breaker terminations, the main breaker itself or even in the meter socket. The power company should have checked and possibly remade the connections at the weatherhead.

Old 06-20-14, 08:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
Sounds like you might be loosing one leg of your service.