Adding outlets in garage

Old 06-21-14, 04:18 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding outlets in garage

I recently purchased a home (existing construction) that only has a couple of outlets in the garage and as luck would have it, none on the side of my work bench. So, I'd like to add some outlets.

The attached image is a rough sketch I've done of the garage. The main garage area is drywalled but the small storage closet at the back is not, so I have access to the studs there.

The EO 1-3 shows where the 3 existing outlets are. I numbered them in order of where they seem to fall in sequence (seems as if the existing line goes to 1 first, then 2, then 3).

The 3 "NO" show where I'd like to locate new outlets. I am thinking that doing surface conduit and boxes are the way to go, but have a couple of questions:

- I can easily access existing outlets 1 & 2. Both of them have power coming in and going out. Can I run an additional line out of one of these, or is 1 line out the max in a single run? I'd like to avoid adding a new line (and therefore dealing with the box) if at all possible.

- What are the pros/cons of the metal vs PVC surface-mount conduit?

I am a typical homeowner and don't have any kind of advanced wood working shop with lots of tools. My power needs are limited to stuff like running a circular saw, charging kids' toys and batteries in the cordless drill. So, I don't anticipate needing anything major power-wise.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to best knock this out.

Attached Images  
Old 06-21-14, 05:10 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
You can certainly tap off the existing outlet circuit,do you have access to the area above? If so you could run Romex above and fish it down to the new locations,might be easier than running pipe,the Romex would have to be between the ceiling joists not just run across them, other things to consider are : box size although EO3 is further away it would seem that it maybe the best bet for you to start should only have 1 cable,also the circuit should be GFCI protected.
Geo

Old 06-21-14, 05:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Do you have access over the garage such as an attic? One option would be to run romex cable up, over and down to the receptacles. Of course if you don't mind the conduit being exposed that would be easier. Run a new circuit from the panel in conduit (pvc is easier to deal with) through the wall, fastening it to the studs as you go, and installing receptacle boxes where needed. Don't skimp. Put one on every other stud (32") . You won't overload it as you may only have a couple in use at any given time. It is merely for convenience.

We can walk you through connecting it to the breaker panel. You will need to use #12 THWN individual wires in conduit, not romex. Black, white and green.

Old 06-21-14, 06:56 AM
A
Received 163 Upvotes on 136 Posts
We are assuming he is using a 20amp circuit so would advise if 15amp use AWG 14/2 if 20amp use AWG 12/2.

Other thing he asked is how many wires can come out of box. It is calculated by the size of the wire and how many will enter/leave the box not just how many cables are coming in and going out. For his reference quickly for every hot and neutral count as one, for all grounds count as only one. for the strap of a receptacle count as two. If #14 wire multiply by 2.25 for #12 wire multiply by 2.5. The multiplication factors are cubic inches (if you have #12 and #14 in the same box you account for large which is the #12). A standard plastic new work box is only about 18 cubic inch capacity (they do have high capacity singe gang plastic boxes. Some call them side-car boxes; you can buy them at the home depot)

Example:

Two #14/2 with ground cables in one 18 cubic inch box.

Two hots 2 x 2.25=4.5
Two neutrals 2 x 2.25=4.5
Two ground 1 x 2.25=2.25
One receptl 2 x 2.25=4.5
--------------
Total 7 x 2.25 = 15.75 cubic inches

Under normal conditions you would not have a 12 and 14 gauge wire in a receptacle box (you would not connect a 14 and 12 to the same receptacle) but you can in a light switch box (the 12 feeds power to the light switch for the light and the 14 is the wire going to the lite - some towns and inspectors may not allow this though).

Old 06-21-14, 07:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The OP is making a simple run down a wall of receptacles for a work bench area. The "box" he refers to is the panel box. Yes, 20 amp breaker and one run of 12 gauge THWN through conduit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: