X10 XPS2 Switch Failure on Swimming Pool Waterfall Pump??

Old 06-21-14, 11:17 AM
Exclamation X10 XPS2 Switch Failure on Swimming Pool Waterfall Pump??

My variable speed waterfall pump on my swimming pool pad uses an X10 XPS2 Heavy Duty switch to turn on and off. A few weeks ago the pool company installed a new waterfall pump, and now after it worked properly a few time in now appears to be malfunctioning (shorting??). Each time I turn the switch on it makes a snapping sound and automatically switches off. If I hold the toggle switch button on it makes the snapping sound repeatedly (like a machine gun - not good for the switch or the pump no doubt) and doesn't start. No doubt there is a short somewhere in the wiring.

How do I know if its the switch or the pump that is causing the short? (FYI... when I try to turn it on now the pump has a little red warning light labeled "fault" that flashes)

Do XPS2 switches wear out over time? This one was installed 8 years ago.

Why would it only start shorting once the new pump was installed? Would it have anything to do with the fact that the old pump was single speed and the new pump is variable speed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Sideshow76

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-14, 05:34 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Call the pool company. Tell them to fix it. They should stand behind their work.

Old 06-21-14, 09:11 PM
There's some complications with that relationship that makes their help not an option. Thus I need the help/guidance of this site.

Thanks
Sideshow76

Old 06-21-14, 09:20 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Do XPS2 switches wear out over time? This one was installed 8 years ago.
Sure.... like anything else.

It's possible that the relay was badly arced and the new larger pump put more of a load on it causing the relay to fail. The switch itself is rated at 240vac 20A. Unless they put a massive pump on the switch I wouldn't think it was their fault. I would say natural failure.