Surface Mount Boxes

Old 06-23-14, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Surface Mount Boxes

Ahoy neighbors,

Our fixer house is so old it does not have hollow walls. They are just 1x10's affixed floor to ceiling. I am not sure how the house stands up but it does, and has since 1923, and besides that is not for the Electrical category.

Currently it has outlets set into the floor. They are not rated for floor, and besides I do not want them there, so they must go. I am looking for some nice looking surface mount solution for mounting some outlets.

I am surprised a) to find a very few metal surface mount boxes available, and b) more commonly, plastic ones that are available.

Here's the best metal one I've found, at OSH. It would do the trick but seems a little pricy. I would run the wire through some surface mount metal channel about 12" to the floor and wire into the basement/crawl space.

I would not think the plastic ones would be any good for a 120v installation. Are they strictly for networking, phone, and the like?

Looking for other sources of a good looking and good quality surface mount box/channel system, but of course all your 2c are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-14, 03:36 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The plastic boxes are rated for 120v and 240v. Whether you use metal are plastic is your choice. Wiremold is probably the largest suppler of surface raceway systems.

Old 06-23-14, 05:53 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
I would also recommend Wiremold, but I'd use the plastic baseboard raceway system for a new baseboard, the raceway and for mounting the accessory receptacles in the baseboard. In addition, it's plastice for easy installation and paintable. I'd use this throughout the house in every room except maybe bathrooms and for the kitchen counter.

Old 06-23-14, 06:22 PM
Thanks guys, I found some Wiremold vendors thanks to your tip. Will stick with metal though.

Old 06-24-14, 04:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Surface mount boxes (ie wire mold) looks tacky . Plastic especially, plastic is a tell tale sign of hack work. I would only use this junk as a very last resort.

You might be in luck though. Just because you don't "see" a way to mount boxes properly inside the walls doesn't mean an experienced electrician would not. In fact it might not be as invasive as you think.

Old 06-24-14, 09:03 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Could you post some pictures of these wall including fastening points at the top and bottom http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

Old 06-25-14, 11:37 AM
Pete, there's no "inside" of these walls. As I say, they are 1x solid boards.

Interestingly, the metal box I linked to at OSH are in fact Wiremold blister packs. They are priced a good $4 less than I found on the internet. I ordered 20 from my local OSH store yesterday and will paint them to blend into the wall.

I will be on site in a couple of days and can snap a photo.