Kitchen Remodel, Wiring Questions

Old 06-23-14, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Remodel, Wiring Questions

I'm redoing the kitchen in my 1970s built California house, and want to make sure I update the kitchen wiring appropriately. I'm familiar with most code stuff from googling and reading, I just have a few more questions I hope I can have answered here. The kitchen is basically along two walls, one wall will have a refrig, gas range, hood, with two counter outlets, one on each side of the range. The second wall starts with a peninsula/breakfast bar type thing which currently has no countertop outlet, then a sink with disposal, touchless faucet which I installed a year or so ago (plug type), dishwasher, and then about 10 feet of counters, with a built in microwave one of the lower cabinets.

So for wall 1, I think I'd be fine sharing the refrig with the two countertop outlets on the first 20A small appliance ckt. What I'd like to know is could the gas range be on this same ckt, since it's very low current for the electrical part of these? And also, could the hood vent even be on this, if I direct wired it? I'm thinking I could just put the range and hood on their own ckt but really they're not high current. But what's the code for this?

For wall 2, I anticipate having the disposal on one ckt (switched outlet under the sink), the dishwasher and touchless faucet (with an outlet under the sink) on another ckt, then 4 countertop outlets to the right of the sink on the second 20A small appliance ckt. The microwave will of course have its own 20A ckt. My next big question is this...this sink area faces out to a pool/bbq area, and I have a couple of TVs on the outside wall (other side of this sink/countertop area). I'm currently running extension cords from my garage to get power to these TVs, but now is my chance to put nice outdoor electrical outlets on the wall behind each TV. So what I'm wondering is, I still have this peninsula/breakfast bar area to the left of the sink with no outlet. Could I add an outlet there on a new 20A ckt, and since it's close to the sink I'd put in a GFCI as required...but then use this same ckt and run the two outlets behind the outdoor TVs? Is there anything that says this couldn't be done? Of course a 20A ckt is fine for just these 3 things, but I'm wondering about the indoor/outdoor thing, or if the peninsula outlet is now considered a third small appliance ckt, would having these TVs on it be a problem kind of thing.

Thanks for any help you can give.

I guess one last thing I'd ask is, I see a lot of folks putting a disposal and dishwasher on a shared 20A ckt, but many pros recommend against it...or at least I see a lot of different opinions on it. I guess it's easy enough to check the max current for each device to see if it'll work. In my case I'd have the touchless faucet too, which is very low current, but not sure if having these three things on one ckt would be a problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-14, 10:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
The gas stove and refrigerator can both be powered from the small appliance branch circuits.

The SABC cannot supply receptacles outside of the kitchen, dining and pantry areas. Your outside receptacles will need another circuit.

The DW and GD can probably share the circuit.

Old 06-24-14, 07:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks pcboss...that makes sense. I think I've got a good plan now.

Old 06-24-14, 06:31 PM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
In addition, the range hood cannot be powered from the SABC. Many times this is powered from the lighting circuit.