Disconnecting Outlets from Light Switch

Old 03-12-01, 10:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Arrow

I just moved into a new apartment, and there are 2 outlets which are controlled by the light switch. Since I use the den as my office, I want to be able to plug my computer, fax, etc. into these outlets. Is there a way to disconnect the outlets from the light switch so they are "always on"?

Old 03-12-01, 11:02 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the switch is basicly not needed, then the easiliest way is to take the 2 wires off the switch twist them together and put an insulated wire nut over the connection, this puts the plugs in an always on state. Now either put the switch back (with nothing connected to it) or cap the box with a special cover. Since it is rented , I would put the switch back, that way you can't lose it (although switches are cheap), and whenever you should move , it would be easy to reconnect the wires and everything would be back the way it was in less than 5 minutes. Turn off the power when working with the switch wires.

Old 03-12-01, 11:07 AM
Visiting Guest
The switch that I'm talking about is needed. It controlls the light on the ceiling of the den. So is there an easy way to disconnect the outlets and still have the light controlled by the switch?

Old 03-12-01, 11:17 AM
D
Look inside the switch box, tell me have many wire cables are entering the box, I am hoping there are 3, circuit power, cable feeding the light , cable feeding the plugs. (each cable should have a balck/white/bare)

Also tell me the color of the wires actually conencted to the switch.

Give me that info and we will go from there.

Old 03-12-01, 12:55 PM
D
Email received...

Thanks for answering my question so fast! I'm at work right now, so I have to wait until I go home to take a look at the switch. I'll post the details this evening.

Actually to add to what I already said, we will still be in business if you find 3 wire cables in the switch box, or if you find 1 wire cable in the switch box. There could be a problem if there is 2 wire cables at the switch location.
I await your findings...

Old 03-12-01, 04:13 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

I opened the switch box, and inside I found there were 3 black wires, 3 white wires and 3 bare wires entering the box. The 3 black wires are connected to the switch (one top, two bottom), and the 3 white wires are twisted together with an insulated wire nut.

So I take it that I'm going to take the black wire that's connected to the outlets and connect that to the black wire that goes to the breaker (top of the switch), and leave the black wire that's connected to the lights where it is, connected to the bottom of the switch. So how do I do that? Would I get a short piece of black wire like the one connected to the bottom of the switch, connect that to the top of the switch, then connect that to the circuit wire and the outlet wire with an insulated wire nut?

[Edited by larco on 03-12-01 at 07:26]

Old 03-12-01, 04:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Yes Larco, that is what dkerr was trying to guide you to.

Old 03-12-01, 08:18 PM
D
I will asume that you can verify that there is only one switch involved here and no other switch controls that light. I ask that because of the 3 connections at the switch. Or perhaps you meant there is one wire at the top screw and 2 wires together on the bottom screw. If this is indeed fact, one switch for the light then...

the white wires , no touch ,we will leave them connected as they are. We will also leave the bare wires as they are.

We will now deal only with the 3 wires that are connected at the switch. You said you have one wire at the top of the switch and 2 at the bottom. Now disconnect one of the bottom wires, don't let the disconnected wire touch anything, now try the switch , check if the switch will now turn on/off the light, or does it turn on/off the plugs ?
mark it. Now disconnect the other bottom wire and reconenct the previous wire to the bottom, now check the switch , it should control the oposite item, mark it. Now if you find that when one wire is connected at the bottom it controls only the plug and when the other wire is the only one connected it controls only the light, (if you get a different effect post back with the exact details) then...

Now connect to the bottom screw of the switch only the wire
that turned on/off the light in the previous test. Now disconnect the top wire from the switch, connect it to the wire that we previously disconnected from the bottom of the switch (the one we confirmed in the test as going to the plug), and also attach a short black wire to go to the top of the switch. All connections put an insulated wire nut.

With some luck, the plugs should now is in an always on state and the light on/off controlled by the switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: