grounding 1 outlet in an ungrounded system

Old 06-25-14, 05:09 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
grounding 1 outlet in an ungrounded system

Can I run romex to 1 outlet on an old house that uses fuses. I want to use a surge protector on my computer equipment. I am confident enough to work on it myself. I just need to know if it is electrically safe to do it and how to connect the romex at the fuse box. Currently the house has the old two wire cable running through it. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-25-14, 01:50 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The fact that the house may be wired with non-metallic 2-conductor cables without a grounding conductor does not mean that the "system" is not Grounded.

Your service should include a "system Grounding Conductor' between the Service switch and a Grounding Electrode such as a metallic water-service line or a grounding rod , so look inside the Service Dis-Connect for a bare conductor that terminates on the same bar where the White circuit conductors and the Service "Neutral " conductor terminate. .

Old 06-25-14, 02:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 196 Upvotes on 172 Posts
The conductor from the ground rod is for a different purpose than the conductor for the third prong on the receptacle. For all the trouble to run a new grounding conductor it is better just to add a new grounded circuit and leave the old wiring alone.

Do you have any available spots for more fuses? If you only have one panel in the house the ground will connect to the same spots as the neutrals.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: