Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

How to disconnect a wire that is held in place by a metal clip

How to disconnect a wire that is held in place by a metal clip


Old 06-25-14, 11:14 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to disconnect a wire that is held in place by a metal clip

I have a microwave control panel that I am trying to remove. The ground wire is attached to the panel by what looks like a clip (see attached) but when I try and pull the clip to remove the wire it doesn't budge.
Is there a special tool to disconnect such clips or is it a case that I have to prise open the metal clips in order to disconnect the wire. I don't want to cut the wire as I will be reattaching the control panel later.

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  30.7 KBName:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  35.1 KB
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-14, 11:32 AM
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 66
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pull it straight up, maybe with pliers, it will slide off the spade connector.
Old 06-25-14, 11:34 AM
Gunguy45's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 21,119
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Normally those just slide off, but can be very tight. I have seen a few that have teeth that dig in as you try to remove. I'd carefully pry the clips open a bit with a small screwdriver. You can always crimp them back down slightly.
Old 06-26-14, 12:12 PM
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3,774
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
You might be able to leverage it off using the end of a screwdriver under where the clip is nearly touching the panel, and perhaps use some nails or other small miscellaneous objects as a fulcrum next to the clip as you work it off little by little.

I would not feel comfortable putting a pliers to it and yanking since the clip might give way suddenly and your hand might strike something nearby such as the sharp metal edge of the cabinet.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: