Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

How to disconnect a wire that is held in place by a metal clip

Old 06-25-14, 10:14 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a microwave control panel that I am trying to remove. The ground wire is attached to the panel by what looks like a clip (see attached) but when I try and pull the clip to remove the wire it doesn't budge.
Is there a special tool to disconnect such clips or is it a case that I have to prise open the metal clips in order to disconnect the wire. I don't want to cut the wire as I will be reattaching the control panel later.

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  30.7 KBName:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  35.1 KB

Old 06-25-14, 10:32 AM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pull it straight up, maybe with pliers, it will slide off the spade connector.

Old 06-25-14, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Normally those just slide off, but can be very tight. I have seen a few that have teeth that dig in as you try to remove. I'd carefully pry the clips open a bit with a small screwdriver. You can always crimp them back down slightly.

Old 06-26-14, 11:12 AM
A
Received 277 Upvotes on 253 Posts
You might be able to leverage it off using the end of a screwdriver under where the clip is nearly touching the panel, and perhaps use some nails or other small miscellaneous objects as a fulcrum next to the clip as you work it off little by little.

I would not feel comfortable putting a pliers to it and yanking since the clip might give way suddenly and your hand might strike something nearby such as the sharp metal edge of the cabinet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: