connecting garage/shop from house

Old 06-25-14, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
connecting garage/shop from house

Hello, I have a garage that is roughly 150ft from the main breaker panel. The garage/shop needs to be able to run a 110v compresser 30amp, and a 110v 30amp welder, a fridge, and a couple of other outlets and some lights. I am upping the draw of the equipment to over size everything. I know that I have to go 24" deep unless I use conduit. Where I'm stuck at is what size wire? What kinda of wire? Conduit or not? What size sub-panel to use? I'll be digging the trench and laying the wire. I will hire an electrian to hook up sub-panel and wires from garage to main panel. I'm trying to save a little money by doing it myself. I'm a ford technician by trade.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-14, 06:14 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You will be supplying a 120 volts to the compressor and welder not 110 volts. A 60 amp feed to a 100 amp main breaker panel should be more than enough. For that you will need either 6-3 UF-b or three #6 plus one #10 single conductor wires (THWN) in conduit.

Old 06-25-14, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That made it a little more clear, thank you. Sorry about 110v that's what they require to run. Lol. I don't understand how'd I'd have a 60amp wire feeding a 100amp sub-panel. And id like to go over kill on everything. And the 6-3 uf-b I have found is rated at allowable ampacities 55.

Old 06-25-14, 07:52 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The 100 amps is simply the maximum amperage it will handle not what you need to feed it. You use a 100 amp to have enough spaces for all the breakers you need. Your subpanel is protected by the 60 amp breaker at the main panel. The 100 amp main breaker in the subpanel is used as the code required disconnect switch so it is just a switch rated for 100 amp. Any switch 60 amp or higher would work but it is convenient to just use the included main breaker.

Note: You could use a main lug panel but then you are going to have to provide a disconnect either externally such as an unfused 60a disconnect or installing a back fed breaker with a hold down clip. The main breaker panel is usually just cheaper because it can be bought as a kit with several breakers where as the main lug panel comes without breakers usually.
I have found is rated at allowable ampacities 55
If there is no 55 amp breaker for your panel code allows you to round up to 60 or you can use a 50 amp breaker.