Grounding - What needs to happen here?

Old 06-26-14, 07:43 AM
Grounding - What needs to happen here?

Hi - New construction here, and I have a couple of questions about what (if anything) needs to happen with the grounding? Thanks in advance.

1st Pic (sorry think you have to click on link to see the area in question on the right) - Conduit on left going into ground is irrigation wiring. The PVC pipes are for cable (1 is not used). Would like to ground the cable box (green wire), should it connect to the bare copper wire? Is that correct, the bare copper wire just sitting there?

2nd Pic - Something looks missing, what happened here?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-14, 07:54 AM
Would like to ground the cable box (green wire), should it connect to the bare copper wire? Is that correct, the bare copper wire just sitting there?
Since this is new construction, there should be an intersystem bonding bridge and that is where the cable ground should be terminated along with the telephone system ground.

Arlington Industries, Inc. Grounding Bridge | content content from Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine

1st Pic - Conduit on left going into ground is irrigation wiring.
If you are referring to the plastic pipe with the 2-hole strap over it, that isn't conduit, it's water pipe. Irrigation guys are notorious for running wiring in water pipe and not conduit.

2nd Pic - Something looks missing, what happened here?
All I see is your gas meter and what looks to be a piece of wire coming out of the wall, what is that? Where is your electric service and ground rod?

Old 06-26-14, 09:11 AM
Group Moderator
That looks like a piece of copper ground wire coming out next to the gas pipe. It almost looks like it was set up for grounding/jumping the meter.

Old 06-26-14, 10:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think that was a bond for the gas meter that has become dislodged. I think one of the screws is missing on the clamp.

Old 06-26-14, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the quick responses:

--For the gas meter, I need to re-attach the clamp to the gas meter (and buy a new bolt)

--For the cable box and telco, purchase a intersystem bonding bridge

Questions - What are the bare copper wires coming out of the wall? In the 1st pic, there is a bare copper wire in the right side of the frame (near where the cable ground wire ends). That would correspond to approximately the same location as fuse box on the other side of the wall (inside garage).

In the 2nd pic, it is the one where the clamp is.

Just curious what they are for (grounding I assume).

Old 06-26-14, 02:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The split bolt on the GEC is providing the same function as the intersystem bonding bridge. I would leave it as is.

The bare conductor is probably going to the ground rod or other electrode.