Installing a new service entrance

Old 06-26-14, 05:08 PM
Installing a new service entrance

Long time reader but this is my first post, many of my questions have been answered with other post and I thank everyone for sharing their knowledge. I recently purchased a seasonal home that was vacant for some years, in that time a tree fell on the old service entrance. Below is my suggested layout, please point out any potential problems or code violations. I am using 4/0 AL SEU from the weatherhead to the meter.

I am located in Upstate NY and my POCO is National Grid.

A couple questions:

Must both the meter and the break panel be grounded separately? If so must it be a continues conductor? National Grids wording on this is not clear.

Is there a spacing requirement for the point of attachment in relation to the weatherhead?

The panel and meter are going to be back to back. Is there a problem running SEU through a 2" metal conduit into the back of the breaker panel? Is it acceptable to use a single grounding bushing on metal conduit? Is there a problem or code violation running SEU through a raceway, even though its so short (about 2")?

Thank you in advance.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-14, 05:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some power companies do not allow grounding in the meter socket. Again you will need to ask. Grounding will need to be continuous from the panel to the first rod and again to any metallic water line in contact with the earth for 10 foot or more. This connection needs to be within 5' of the entry into the house.

Old 06-26-14, 06:26 PM
Why run conduit with SEU ? Much easier to run separate conductors nothing is going to be easy with a nipple that short and that size wire ,it might easier to run the SEU out of the bottom of the meter socket down a ft. Or so then through the wall with a sill plate then up into the panel,ground connection location will be up to the POCO.

Old 06-26-14, 06:43 PM
Looks like you will have your meter too high off the ground.

I think this is your POCO:
National Grid - Electric Specifications
and it states "A grounding electrode conductor shall not be connected to the meter socket trough."

Old 06-26-14, 07:12 PM
Astuff, my apologies. I am not completely to scale and the grade on that side of the house will be increased which I hope should allow me to mount the meter slightly higher but still be under the 5' 6" threshold.

As for weatherhead, can it be mounted at an angle or horizontal. I understand it needs to be filled with duct seal but are there circumstance that need to be met to be able to do so?

Old 06-26-14, 08:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Why does the weatherhead need duct seal? I have never used it in 30 years. The weatherhead should be vertical. The anchor point should be below the weatherhead.

Old 06-27-14, 08:10 AM
You need a minimum of 10 feet to the drip loops at the service connection. I doubt you need to run the SEU cable along the soffit to such a high point above the 2nd floor window, but if you do run it there, you need no less than 3 feet between the service connection and that window.

Is there a problem running SEU through a 2" metal conduit into the back of the breaker panel? Is it acceptable to use a single grounding bushing on metal conduit?
If you do install a 2" metallic nipple through the wall into the panel, the nipple will need a bonding bushing at each end. I wouldn't run the 4/0 SEU through it, but would use separate conductors such as 4/0 Al XHHW or 2/0 copper THHN/THWN.