Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Outlets in bathroom not working - but breaker is not tripped

Old 06-26-14, 09:28 PM

We have three outlets in our bathroom. Two 'normal' outlets, and one plug with a reset option, I think they're called GFCI plugs.

The GFCI plug is working. The other two are not, no power at all. I checked in the garage at the breaker box and nothing is tripped. My wife seems to think one outlet went out before the other, but she says she wouldn't swear to it.

Looking for any input on what to do as the next investigative step.

Additional info: It may not be related at all, but the room immediately below the bathroom might have a fixture burning through light bulbs quicker than normal. I'm not sure one thing has anything to do with the other.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-14, 05:56 AM
The other outlets in the bathroom should be GFCI protected,have you tried to reset the GFCI receptacle even though it is working? are there other GFCI receptacles in adjacent bathrooms or kitchen area? If so test and reset all.
Geo

Old 06-27-14, 08:20 AM
Two 'normal' outlets, and one plug with a reset option, I think they're called GFCI plugs.
No such thing. A plug has 2 or 3 prongs and is on the end of a cord. What you have is a GFCI receptacle.

Last edited by CasualJoe; 06-27-14 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-27-14, 08:23 AM
Group Moderator
The GFCI could be anywhere. A bathroom, kitchen, basement, garage, attic, outside. I have seen back yard receptacles on a upstairs bathroom circuit at the front of the house. It doesn't matter if it is a room that shouldn't be on a GFCI. The receptacle may be an add-on that someone just ran from an accessible cable. Sometimes the GFCI's are forgotten or never noticed behind furniture. We had one poster find the culprit hidden behind the water heater. Once you're sure there is no GFCI move on to the next step.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...#ixzz35qhnx4sp