Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Lights in my bedroom went off, circuit didn't trip, won't reset

Old 06-27-14, 07:57 AM

Hi all,

I have had a recurring problem in my apartment. I use a portable air conditioner in my bedroom. My wife vacuums my house everyday as I have bad allergies, anyways she occasionally causes the circuit to trip in that room. Today unfortunately for me she did this. The circuit didn't trip this time, and I have tried to reset it but that yielded no results. I then tried to reset each circuit in the breaker box, and still I can't get the lights in my room back up.

I was wondering if any of you guys could help me diagnose, and fix the problem. Thank you in advance.

Attached are pictures of the breaker box. It is a Loadcenter Cat. No. H0M20M100C. The breaker that keeps tripping is the named "general lights" that is on the lower right. All other lights work fine.Name:  20140627_093014_resized_by_AVG_Image_Shrinker.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  23.4 KBName:  20140627_093027_resized_by_AVG_Image_Shrinker.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  29.1 KB

Last edited by andydude14; 06-27-14 at 08:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-14, 08:16 AM
Group Moderator
If you don't own the apartment for reasons of liability you shouldn't touch the electrical. Call the landlord. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

Old 06-27-14, 08:47 AM
I just recently bought the apartment.....

Old 06-27-14, 11:34 AM
Group Moderator
The circuit didn't trip this time, and I have tried to reset it but that yielded no results.
Do you mean you turned the breaker all the way off then on? Do you have a multimeter, preferably analog? Not a non contact tester.) If so remove the wire from the breaker. Will it reset? If it does do you get 120 volts measuring between the breaker and the neutral bar?

WARNING!! You should always turn off both the main breaker and the branch circuit breaker before working on the breaker for a branch circuit. I see no main breaker so either you need to find the panel that has it or be extra careful. After the wire is removed you would turn power back on to make your voltage measurement.

Old 06-27-14, 07:22 PM
I see no main breaker
Look again, Ray, I see a main breaker at the top left of the panel.

Old 06-27-14, 07:45 PM
So you suggest I turn off the main breaker, then unscrew and remove the circuit breaker, then remove the wire from the breaker and measure the amount of volts? Is there anything I should avoid touching? Thanks for the help. I will check this when I get home.

Old 06-27-14, 07:48 PM
Group Moderator
Those letters say main? I'm not seeing it even after fixing the picture but I'll take your word for it. Better eyes than mine.

Name:  20140627_093014_resized_by_AVG_Image_Shrinker.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  30.9 KB

Old 06-27-14, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
So you suggest I turn off the main breaker, then unscrew and remove the circuit breaker
Circuit breakers snap in not screw in usually but I said to remove the wire not the breaker to see if you can reset the breaker. if you can reset without the wire but it won't reset with the wire you know it is the wiring not the breaker. Before you reconnect the wire if the breaker resets you need to check if the breaker shows 120 volts to neutral.

Edit. this appears to be above your skill level. The panel is too dangerous a place to work if you don't have the knowledge or skills. Call an electrician.

Old 06-27-14, 07:57 PM
So you suggest I turn off the main breaker, then unscrew and remove the circuit breaker, then remove the wire from the breaker and measure the amount of volts? Is there anything I should avoid touching?
You don't unscrew the breaker, they aren't bolt-in breakers, they just plug onto the bus. Considering your skill level and expertise in an electrical panel, I don't think I'd recommend you remove the panel cover. I think you should call an electrician.

Old 06-27-14, 08:00 PM
Group Moderator
On second reading I have to agree with Joe. Call an electrician.

Old 06-28-14, 02:34 AM
Lol thanks....

I am just trying to diagnose at least so I don't get screwed over. If it hypothetically is a the breaker how much would that cost? (Range??) If it is wiring around what do you guys think I would be looking at?

I will definitely just wait til my next check comes in and give a call to an electrician. I will carefully watch him to maybe learn a thing or two. Thanks again!!!

Old 06-28-14, 07:36 AM
That breaker sounds like a Sq D Homeline . Should not cost more than less than $ 10 at your local big box store , if it is just a plane single pole 20 or 15 amp circuit breaker .

My bet is it is something other than the CB ? Such as a loose / bad connection at a receptacle ?

When you turn the CB all the way off , as far as the handle will go . Then try to turn it back on . Does ot trip / pop back or not do much of anything ?

God bless
Wyr