Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

No power in any bonus room, but stairwell light works, same breaker

Old 06-27-14, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Today I started replacing the old ivory receptacles and light switches with white ones.
This is in a bonus room that has it's own breaker in the breaker panel.
I turned off the power, replaced 3 of the 5 outlets and 1 set of light switches (1 switch for a ceiling fan, 1 for a ceiling fan light though there is not one in use right now, and one for 4 can lights).
At this point I turned the power back on to verify that all was well and it was, all outlets worked and the fan and can lights worked.
Turned power back off and replaced the other two outlets, and then also started to replace the two switches in the stairway which both control a single light.
At this point I turned power back on and NOTHING worked. I checked everything and found that the switch in the stairwell was wired wrong so after turning power off I corrected the wiring on this switch.
Turned power back on and now the stairwell light works with both switches in the stairwell, BUT I still don't have any power at the outlets in the bonus roon and the fan and can lights don't work.

I have a VERY old continuity and voltage tool. I removed all receptacles and light switches in the bonus room (leaving alone the ones in the stairwell). After turning the breaker back on I started checking all the black wires to see if any had power and NONE have power.

I am stumped. What do I check or do now?
Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-14, 08:10 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have a VERY old continuity and voltage tool
If you mean a non contact tester it is useless for this. You need an analog multimeter. An $8-$15 analog is all you need. Don't by a digital. Can you put all the wires back like you had them? I suspect the problem was only in one of the last two receptacles you worked on. But until the connections are put back we can't begin checking.

Old 06-28-14, 06:06 AM
I checked power to all the outlets and switches. I only have power to the 2 switches that run the light in the stairwell. None of the outlets or light switches in the bonus room have power. Even though all of these run from the same breaker and it is on.

Old 06-28-14, 07:23 AM
You still have the wiring connected wrong , my guess is it is back at thje swit or switches that you had to redo earlier .

My advice to civilians is to take photos and label the wires ( masking tape & sharpie ) . Draw a diagram . Do all this before you disconnect things .

Go back to the switches for the stairwell . Are they 3-way switches or single pole switches ? Two switches in the same box or two switches in individual boxes ?

God bless
Wyr

Old 06-28-14, 08:09 AM
the switch at the top of the stairs has 4 wires, 2 black, 1 white, 1 red. One of the black wires is screwed in the ground, the other black wire which is hot is screwed onto the black prong, and the white and red are screwed into the other prongs the switch at the bottom has a black, a white, a red., and a bare ground. The black is screwed on the black prong, the ground is screwed where it goes and the red and white are screwed into the 2 prongs at the top. This bottom switch was never touched so I know it is correct. Both switches work as they did before I started this process. thanks

Old 06-28-14, 09:26 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I checked power to all the outlets and switches. I only have power to the 2 switches that run the light in the stairwell. None of the outlets or light switches in the bonus room have power. Even though all of these run from the same breaker and it is on.
How did you check? If you used a non contact tester you haven't really checked yet.
One of the black wires is screwed in the ground
A black is NEVER connected to a ground.

Old 06-29-14, 08:17 AM
Photos , please .

Sounds like a 3-way switch in each of 2 locations ?

http://robbieselectrical.com/Images/...nal-layout.gif

I am guessing the switch with the black , white red and earth ground is not where the problem with the receptacles originates ?

I am further guessing , the other switch , the black on the switch is hot all the time ? Last guess is that black should be connected to the other black ? Which should not be connected to the green screw of the switch .

If this powers up the receptacles , good . You may still , not have the switch wiring correct ? If so , let us know .

God bless
Wyr