White powder on Siemens Breakers- installed in 2000

Old 06-29-14, 11:20 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
White powder on Siemens Breakers- installed in 2000

I have a GFCI in the garage that makes a kind of grinding sound when I press the test button, test button won't stay pushed in either... anyhow read on this site it could be a loose neutral so ... I opened up the panel box and I have noticed that the Siemens breakers especially the 20 AMPs (installed in 2000) have a whitish powder next to the screw terminals, not on the screws but that general area, the one for the water pump looks like the whitish area that is part of the breaker is even breaking down ... none of them look burnt ... just a calcium like deposit, not all of them but half of the total breakers in box. I did a quick check on here but can't find anything and I can't look anymore but don't like seeing what I am seeing. Does this need to be fixed right now ... as in, how bad is this?:: Also, my husband has enough spare ones of the same brand, never used to replace these with, they look good but they are from year 2000 ... would it be better just to bite the bullet and get new ones, they may have improved?? another brand maybe?? new code requirements?

Old 06-29-14, 11:57 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Can you provide some pictures of the breakers with the white powder?

Old 06-29-14, 02:58 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I did take pic but my phone is not sending it very promptly, I just did some more searching and it seems that the substance is the white stuff that Siemens uses to cover the screw adjacent to the screw you tuck the wire in ... other brands just put a small sticker on it apparently. It is done to avoid tampering?? Over time it can break down and according to some posters that claimed to have contacted Siemens, it is a non issue. Now I have to figure out why my GFCI is making that grinding noise??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: