Running power to a shop

Old 06-29-14, 09:28 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Running power to a shop

Hello I am new to this page and haven't quite got navigating it down. I am in the process of building a shop and want to do the wiring myself. I have a junction box on the side of my house and the shop is no more than 50 yards from it. I want to run a couple 220 plugs (will be using a welder and medium duty air compressor), a few 110s and a two post car hoist. I plan on using led lighting to reduce power usage. Shop will be 20x36' if that makes a difference. Can someone point me in the right direction of what I need to run power to the shop and appropriate breakers/ junction box
Thanks im almost two years into my first home and like to learn home improvement stuff myself. I'm mechanically inclined and understand how to safely work around electrical components.

Old 06-29-14, 10:04 PM
I
From the description, it sounds like you may want to consider installing a sub-panel for the shop. That part is a bit out of my league, but I would recommend running BX cable in lieu of romex. It's a bit more expensive, but it sounds like you'll be doing some potentially hazardous work. Better to be safe than sorry.

Old 06-29-14, 10:07 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You can't run 110 and 220 because your house has 120 and 240. You will need to run a 4-wire feed from the house to a subpanel. The size of the feed depends on the full load amps of the welder, compressor, and any other high draw equipment. With out that info we can only guess.

Old 06-29-14, 10:22 PM
W
Yea I assumed I needed a sub panel. I just don't know what the wire is and what all I need to run power from the house and connect it to the box. I figured I could figure how to wire in breakers and plugs after I get main power. I heard the wire I need will be the most expensive part for the electrical

Old 06-30-14, 04:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would recommend running BX cable in lieu of romex. It's a bit more expensive, but it sounds like you'll be doing some potentially hazardous work. Better to be safe than sorry.
BX or romex???

The OP stated he is running power from an outside junction box 50 yards from his new shop.

I also assume this is a new build and will be inspected, OP would be best served to find out what his AHJ is going to want to see.

Old 06-30-14, 05:49 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
I don't believe the AHJ will want to design the job ,you are best having a plan for him to approve first,we would need actual loads to figure wire size etc.
Geo

Old 06-30-14, 06:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't believe the AHJ will want to design the job ,you are best having a plan for him to approve first,we would need actual loads to figure wire size etc.
Yes a plan, that would be best.... preferably from a licensed electrician.

Old 06-30-14, 11:02 AM
I
BX or romex???
For inside the shop. Not 150' from a jbox.

Old 06-30-14, 11:09 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Yes a plan, that would be best.... preferably from a licensed electrician.
Electricians typically do not do drawings for permits. When drawings for a non-residential new construction project are required for plan review and permits, they usually need to have wet seals by a PE.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: