Demagnetize Kindle Cover?

Old 07-01-14, 03:54 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Demagnetize Kindle Cover?

I don't have a clue where this question belongs...

I have a Kindle Paperwhite. The aftermarket case puts the Kindle to sleep when the cover is closed. It also has the bad habit of turning it off at intermittent times when reading if the cover is folded around to the back of the Kindle. I've found that the front cover of the case contains a thin sheet of steel one corner of which is highly magnetized. If the magnetism were weaker I think the cover would work as intended but I'd be happy to just demagnetize it altogether if that's easier. How do I demagnetize the steel plate inside the case?

The case is synthetic/fake leather and heat sealed shut so I can't take the steel plate out without damaging the case. So, heating it with a torch is out of the question. I've held it flat to my 40" CRT TV which has a powerful degaussing feature to no avail.

Old 07-01-14, 04:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
If you have any big old AC motors laying around.... pull out the armature and that will leave you a set of coils that will act as a demagnetizer.

I have one of those 24" degauss loops here if you're cruising thru the area.

Old 07-01-14, 04:43 PM
P
Group Moderator
I thought of using my welder but the area magnetized is only about a 2" long band diagonal across the corner of the cover. I'm afraid if I go overboard I'll end up magnetizing the whole thing.

Old 07-02-14, 07:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
I think the motor coils trick worked or at least worked enough. I think I knocked the magnetism down to a proper level. The cover is still magnetized so the auto on/off feature works but it's not so strong to turn it on/off with the cover flipped to the back side.

---
You could warned me about feeling the vibration in the cover. That gave me jump until I realized what was going on.

Old 07-02-14, 08:08 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I've still got an old bulk eraser for 7" audio tape reels and yes, the vibration can be a surprise.

Old 07-02-14, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
You could warned me about feeling the vibration in the cover. That gave me jump until I realized what was going on.
I had never thought about the vibration.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: