Using a Disconnect and the Right Wire

Old 07-03-14, 07:52 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Using a Disconnect and the Right Wire

If I install an outdoor disconnect between my meter and the current panel does it matter whether I used a fused or non-fused disconnect?

As I understand it, if I used a fused disconnect, then I run 3-wire (2-hot and 1-neutral) from the meter to the disconnect and 4-wire (2 hot, 1 neutral, 1 ground) from the disconnect to the panel. The disconnect is the first over current protection device and the panel is a sub-panel.

If I use a non-fused disconnect, would I still run 4-wire to the panel, since there is no over current protection?

Is there a benefit to going one route or the other?

Old 07-03-14, 08:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It must be a fused disconnect. All of your grounding needs to be done there, then it needs to be 4-wire (assuming single phase) from there on.

Old 07-03-14, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
In addition to what you know and what Justin has said I'd like to add that now your main panel inside will become a sub-panel. That means you'll need to separate your neutrals and grounds and install a grounding block. You will need to move your ground rod wire and the ground wire from the water service to the outside disconnect.

Some inspectors frown on splicing the grounds in the panel and bringing them outside thru the service pipe. You may have to remove the grounds from the main panel and lengthen them to reach your new disconnect. You must use a crimp or some other type of irreversible wire splice method.... otherwise you could run new wire.

Old 07-04-14, 06:22 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
If I install an outdoor disconnect between my meter and the current panel does it matter whether I used a fused or non-fused disconnect?
Why are you wanting to do this?

Old 07-04-14, 02:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
I too would like to have an idea why the OP is considering this. Seems like an unnecessary expense.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: