Two lights on 3 way switches

Old 07-04-14, 07:31 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Two lights on 3 way switches

I have a driveway light mounted on the garage and porch lights that are wired together to 3 way switches. One of the switches is next to the front door/porch and the other is next to the door leading into the garage.

What I would like to do is separate them (single pole switches). What do I need to connect/disconnect. Which terminals on the 3 way are what? Are all 3 ways wired the same way?

Thanks,
Greg

Old 07-04-14, 07:59 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Which terminals on the 3 way are what?
The odd colored screw (usually dark gray) is the common. At one switch the common is power in and at the other switch it is power out to the light. The other two brass screws or travelers. The most important wire, the one that must go to only the correct screw is the common wire. Always mark before disconnecting. The two traveler wires are interchangeable. They just go one each to the two traveler terminals.
Are all 3 ways wired the same way
No. It depends on if power comes in at the switch or the light. Without knowing the wiring at the switches and the lights your question can't be answered.

Old 07-04-14, 08:45 AM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply Ray.

If I were to disconnect the wires from the switch and put wire nuts on them, then energize the circuit and use a voltage tester on the individual wires, would that tell me what I need to know as far as where the power is coming from?

Old 07-04-14, 11:06 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Not sure what you mean by voltage tester. You need to use a multimeter, preferably analog. (A non contact tester won't work.) The power in will usually be a 2-conductor cable (white. black +ground). You need to disconnect the black and measure to neutral. It could be at one of the switches are the light. If you post pictures of the switches and lights pulled out but still connected we may be able to tell you where to check. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: