S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LED lights on battery

Im a sign maker trying to get some LED lights in a sign,

I have 24 of these installed
http://sloanled.com/sign-and-archite...2-Imperial.pdf
and I want to run them on a battery that will last more than a day,
something I can just swap out a rechargeable battery every month or so.
is this possible?

thanks for any help

Old 07-04-14, 09:30 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I think some standard Marine/RV deep cycle batteries would work good for your application. However long it runs will depend on how many LED modules you use and how many batteries you use.

Old 07-04-14, 11:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I have an electric fence that I power with high quality telecom backup batteries. It's a sorta similar application with a long term power draw. The system runs at a low pulse rate during the day and kicks into high gear at night. I reliably get 3+ weeks per charge on a battery. I have another identical battery that I charge and go out and make the swap. The key is matching your batteries capacity with the current draw.

You should also read up on batteries and learn how much they can be discharged without shortening the life of the battery. There are even differences among deep cycle batteries and leaning what your battery can do will allow you to get the most out of it and have a long useful life.

Personally I'm sold on quality batteries. The valve regulated C&D Technologies telecom batteries I'm using are almost 10 years old and still going strong. I've tried marine deep cycle batteries and none have performed so reliably for half as long. You will get sticker shock at the price but quality batteries will make maintaining your sign much easier.

Old 07-04-14, 12:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Dane.... unfortunately SLA battery quality has tumbled severely with the bulk of all lead acid products being imported from Asia.

You stated you have "24 of these installed" based on the link it's hard to tell 24 of what ?
You need to add up the wattage draw of the LED's to compute a battery size.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: