Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

replacing faulty AC power plug (with built in GFI) on pressure washer

Old 07-05-14, 05:04 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

My Karcher pressure washer has a power plug with built in ground fault circuit interrupter (which has a fault in it and will not allow it to power on). The existing power plug has following characteristics:
Class A, 120 VAC, 15 AMP, 60Hz, 1800 W

At Lowes, the salesman said to replace the plug with a standard plug, then plug it into a new GFI. All for under $20. Sounds good, BUT

The only standard plugs I can find have these numbers;
125 Volts, 15 amps, AND

the new GFI has
125 VAC 15 AMPs. 60 Hz and 1875 watts

Am I ok with the slight variation between old 120 v and 1800 watt and new 125v and 1875 watts? The sales guy thought so. I am not educated in electrician-speak. Thanks

Old 07-05-14, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

120vac is the norm but 125vac is ok for your plug.

I understand he told you to put a standard male cap (plug) on the pressure washer and to plug it into a GFI receptacle ? That's a great idea but what if you plug the pressure washer into a standard wall receptacle. Now you don't have any GFI protection.

So that really isn't a proper repair.

Old 07-05-14, 07:32 PM
H
Being unfamiliar with wiring, I do not fully understand why a new cordset is needed. I did not plan to ever plug he new standard male cap into a wall socket directly. The reason I bought a new GFI plug was to always use it in coneection with the pressure washer. I am the only user, ever.

A new cordset with the proper RCD plug costs more than I paid for the pressure washer, so I might as well scrap it and start over if the "solution" I posted is unsafe for me to employ while pressure washing my driveway and some stone paving. Is it? Thanks

Old 07-05-14, 08:08 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
It is not unsafe till you are injured or killed. This is not a Ouija board so we really can't answer, only tell you what is the safest thing to do.

Old 07-07-14, 03:41 PM
H
Thanks

My solution worked well, although I agree it it is not a proper repair. But I have power and I have GFI protection.

I did not need to replace the entire cordset, which Karcher makes both difficult and expensive. The new standard male cap (plug) and separate GFI receptacle/plug work fine and I have used the pressure washer several times. No injury; no deaths, no firetrucks.

Old 07-07-14, 04:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You didn't get the answer you wanted and chose to fix it incorrectly. In doing so you have stripped the appliance of any of the national safety standards it once had and have jeopardized the safety of anyone using your still faulty pressure washer.

Of course you have already rationalized your poor decision so good luck to you.

Old 07-07-14, 08:38 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Replacement GFCI plugs are only about $30 each at my supply house. Even less online. Leviton 15-Amp Compact Right Angle Plug-In GFCI - Black-R51-16693-THD at The Home Depot

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: