50 Amp pedestal Power to 100 Amp Breaker Box

Old 07-06-14, 07:10 AM
50 Amp pedestal Power to 100 Amp Breaker Box

Hello -

I ordered a Park Model Home with a 100 Amp Electric Service Panel Box. I then realized that I only have a 50 Amp Pedestal to plug into. The Park Model Home is pretty basic with gas range, electric frig, gas furnace, microwave. I do not think that I will really need the 100 amp service, but wanted it for additional power for outside plugs ect.

The pedestal has a meter attached to it, two 3 prong 50 amp plugs-in and two standard plug-ins. This is located about 15 feet from the park model.

My issue, question is, how do I hook electric power between the 100 amp Park Model home and the 50 amp pedestal power? Should I use #6 pig tail style plug and wire it in to the 100 amp electric box on the Park Model home?

Looking for the best and easiest solution.

THANKS

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-14, 08:12 AM
Group Moderator
It is common practice to use subpanels rated for more then the amp rating of the feed. That is not a problem. That the subpanel is 100 amps only means it could be fed by up to 100 amps. Protection is at the supplying panel. That is where I have questions. You say 3 prong receptacle but a subpanel needs a 4 prong receptacle. You say a 50 amp receptacle but you don't say if it is protected by a 50 amp breaker. Please answer those question and if possible post a picture of the pedestal meter with the cover over the receptacles and breakers removed. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html