50 Amp pedestal Power to 100 Amp Breaker Box

Old 07-06-14, 07:10 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
50 Amp pedestal Power to 100 Amp Breaker Box

Hello -

I ordered a Park Model Home with a 100 Amp Electric Service Panel Box. I then realized that I only have a 50 Amp Pedestal to plug into. The Park Model Home is pretty basic with gas range, electric frig, gas furnace, microwave. I do not think that I will really need the 100 amp service, but wanted it for additional power for outside plugs ect.

The pedestal has a meter attached to it, two 3 prong 50 amp plugs-in and two standard plug-ins. This is located about 15 feet from the park model.

My issue, question is, how do I hook electric power between the 100 amp Park Model home and the 50 amp pedestal power? Should I use #6 pig tail style plug and wire it in to the 100 amp electric box on the Park Model home?

Looking for the best and easiest solution.

THANKS

Old 07-06-14, 08:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
It is common practice to use subpanels rated for more then the amp rating of the feed. That is not a problem. That the subpanel is 100 amps only means it could be fed by up to 100 amps. Protection is at the supplying panel. That is where I have questions. You say 3 prong receptacle but a subpanel needs a 4 prong receptacle. You say a 50 amp receptacle but you don't say if it is protected by a 50 amp breaker. Please answer those question and if possible post a picture of the pedestal meter with the cover over the receptacles and breakers removed. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: