Condesate Pump and Furnace Outlet

Old 07-07-14, 07:46 PM
Condesate Pump and Furnace Outlet

Hi all.

I have a question about a condensate pump - and the electricity source it currently runs on - for my furnace/AC. I am replacing the old pump with new. The old pump was hardwired and any new consumer grade pump I can find requires an outlet. My furnace has a power switch on it - basic light switch - that allows one to turn off power locally to the furnace. The condensate pump runs off of this same switch. My question: Can I take the existing power - switch and all - and convert it into an outlet located on the furnace? Or do I have to locate the power on a nearby wall? The walls of my utility room are unfinished so I would have no problem going that route. One las note: the condensate pump power is currently located on the opposite side of the furnace power switch via conduit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34379[/ATTACH]

Edit: Here is a pic of the room:

Text reads - from top:
Power cutoff switch
Conduit goes around back of furnace from switch
Pump power

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-14, 07:59 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

You can place the receptacle whatever is convenient for you. The switch is required to be within sight of the furnace if you are planning to relocate that, it is the furnace disconnect and is required. The receptacle is required to be GFCI protected and tamper resistant.

If it was me, I would just disconnect the MC cable, install it in a metal box, and install the new receptacle in its new, convenient location.

Old 07-07-14, 08:02 PM
Great. That is a good start. Here's another question: Can I attach the outlet directly to the furnace? Is that even close to acceptable? If so, what do I have to take into account for the GFCI outlet housing?

Old 07-07-14, 08:05 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, it can be attached to the furnace. I would not attach it to the ductwork though.

I suggest using a 4"x4"x 1 1/2", or larger, box with a mud-ring for adequate room for the GFCI device.

Old 07-07-14, 08:15 PM
Excellent! Thank you so much for your quick replies. If I have any other questions, I'm coming back here. Thanks again, Tolyn.

Old 07-08-14, 05:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I suggest using a 4"x4"x 1 1/2", or larger, box with a mud-ring for adequate room for the GFCI device.
Tolyn gave good advice. But I would not use a mudring... keep those for your next drywall repair.

Instead use a raised cover for the 1900 box

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34382[/ATTACH]

This outlet will be associated equipment so you can have it on your furnace circuit.

Attached Images  

Last edited by bigboypete; 07-08-14 at 05:15 AM.
Old 07-08-14, 08:40 AM
My next question was going to be about consolidation. The furnace switch is already housed in a 4x4 box. Putting a switch/outlet combo would be great. Thanks for the suggestion. So, just for my own understanding, putting non-associated electrical devices in an outlet like the one you referred to is a no no?

Old 07-08-14, 09:00 AM
putting non-associated electrical devices in an outlet like the one you referred to is a no no?
No, but non-associated equipment might be on different circuits. I thought your issue was that the cord on the replacement condensate pump would not reach the switch location. If the cord reaches, problem solved. If it doesn't, leave the switch where it is and install a GFCI receptacle near the pump fed from the switch location.

Old 07-08-14, 10:19 AM
The condensate pump power has pretty much been vetted. I was just asking if there was an issue plugging something into that cutoff switch that would somehow violate code...let's say a wireless router.

Old 07-08-14, 11:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That outlet is only for associated equipment. Ie: condensate pump, humidifier etc...

NEC 422.12

422.12 Central Heating Equipment. Central heating
equipment other than fixed electric space-heating equipment
shall be supplied by an individual branch circuit.

Exception No. 1: Auxiliary equipment, such as a pump,
valve, humidifier, or electrostatic air cleaner directly associated
with the heating equipment, shall be permitted to be
connected to the same branch circuit.
So in other words, a wireless router has no business on this circuit.

Old 07-08-14, 11:39 AM
Got it. That makes sense. Thank you for all your help and info. I appreciate it!

Old 07-08-14, 11:50 AM
So I suppose the next order of business is to ask about specific wiring requirements for the box with a switch/outlet combo. I assume power should come into the switch first then to the outlet. What else should I consider?

Old 07-08-14, 02:46 PM
Group Moderator
You do not have to wire the GFCI on the load side of the switch. The switch can just disconnect power to the furnace. It might be handy for a HVAC tech to have the receptacle there that is hot for any tools they might use to repair/maintain the furnace.