Neutral lug kit thread dilemma

Old 07-10-14, 04:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Neutral lug kit thread dilemma

I've installed a Square D QO 70 amp sub panel off my old Cutler Hammer (CH) and because of the wire is 4awg copper it won't fit into the neutral bar of the CH. I went out and purchased an Eaton neutral lug kit made for both BR and CH, however my CH panel's neutral bar set screws are 5/16"-24 and not the smaller 1/4" that came with the kit. I see myself left with only two options, the first is getting a bolt on lug and a 5/16-24 bolt to attach it or a forked lug that fits into two neutral bar spaces. I can't get a forked lug that is specific for Cutler Hammer CH, but I did find one that fits. I also purchased a bolt on lug and a 5/16-24 bolt. Can someone tell me if one or the other is a better idea and can a zinc /yellow zinc coated bolt be used to bolt on the lug to the neutral bar? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-14, 04:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 27 Posts
Normally #4 is the largest that will fit in the holes in the bus. CH might have different size holes in the bus instead of one size.

Old 07-10-14, 02:30 PM
Hi

Just had the exact problem two days ago.... Except the Sub is a Eaton BR.

I could not find a lug that would fit the CH panel. Found a bolt that would fit but it was too long.

I used two of these (one for ground and one for Neutral) for a #1 AL wire.

Name:  62878644.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  19.3 KB

Passed inspection last night. Had to get it at a electrical supply store - the ones at the big box didn't handle #1. I think they do handle #4 however.

M

Old 07-11-14, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. I grabbed a couple different forked lugs and hopefully one will fit. I don't think the neutral bar can accept #4, but I will check again. Sadly the neutral will never carry more than 20-30 amps back, but I didn't want to undersize it.

Old 07-11-14, 06:12 PM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
I don't think the neutral bar can accept #4, but I will check again.
If you check the fine print on the label inside the panel door, the wire sizes the neutral bar will accept might be mentioned.