240v for range needed

Old 07-10-14, 07:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
240v for range needed

I'm trying to help a friend determine if he should buy an Electric or Gas Range.
He lives pretty far away so I can't go there just right now.

However, He told me his range outlet has 1 black, 1 white and bare ground.

This sounds like #10 to me.

Is it possible for this cable to be #8?? I thought #8 would always be 1 black, 1 red, and either 1 white or 1 white with bare ground.

If it's not possible for this to be larger than #10, I will recommend he goes with gas.

Thanks

After some thought, I have seen 2 blacks and white or white w/ ground.

Last edited by Handyone; 07-10-14 at 08:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-14, 08:25 AM
Group Moderator
He would have some kind of non metallic cable (like romex). The size he has there should be 6-2 w/ground but may be 8-2 w/ground.

Now, the wiring is required to be 6-3 w/ground.

He'll have to look and try to find the writing on the jacket. Maybe in the basement, attic or at the panel.

Old 07-10-14, 08:43 AM
He would have some kind of non metallic cable (like romex). The size he has there should be 6-2 w/ground but may be 8-2 w/ground.
If the cable is NM cable (aka romex), 6-2 w/ground has never been allowed for a 240 volt range circuit. It would have to have been 8-3 or 6-3 plain in an older installtion or 8-3 w/g or 6-3 w/g for a newer installtion. SEU cable was frequently used in the past for a range circuit; that would be 2 blacks and 1 bare stranded neutral.

Old 07-10-14, 09:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would have to have been 8-3 or 6-3 plain in an older installation or 8-3 w/g or 6-3 w/g for a newer installation.
OK, Maybe I'm not thinking right.... I don't see how 8-3 plain could be 1 black, 1 red, and bare ground.

Or am I wrong? Could it be?

I live in CA and believe it or not, I once saw a wall oven wired with 12/2 with ground. It was obvious this was the original wiring when house was built. It was a tract home so I would bet they were all wired that way.

This is a pretty simple thing, it just throws me off that one conductor is red.

Thanks

Old 07-10-14, 09:30 AM
OK, Maybe I'm not thinking right.... I don't see how 8-3 plain could be 1 black, 1 red, and bare ground.
8-3 plain would have 1 Blk, 1 Red and 1 Wht and have no bare ground. In days past the grounding was done through the insulated neutral conductor and the range receptacles were 3-wire 125/250 volt devices and had no ground terminals.

I live in CA and believe it or not, I once saw a wall oven wired with 12/2 with ground. It was obvious this was the original wiring when house was built. It was a tract home so I would bet they were all wired that way.
An individual wall oven would be wired according to it's spec data and according to the manufacturer's instructions. I suppose it would be possible for some wall ovens to be 240 volt only appliances and be wired with 12-2 w/g NM cable.

Old 07-10-14, 09:34 AM
Group Moderator
I don't see how 8-3 plain could be 1 black, 1 red, and bare ground.
It wouldn't if you mean Romex. It would be black, white, red no ground. Once up on a time a combined neutral ground was allowed. It no longer is but is grandfathered. To use for the range the range would be wired for 3-wire connection per manufacturers instructions (combining the ranges neutral and ground).
I live in CA and believe it or not, I once saw a wall oven wired with 12/2
If the oven was 240 only and used less then 20 amps that would be correct. Moat ranges are 120/240. A 120/240 supply includes a neutral to supply 120 volts for an oven lights and electronic controls.
it just throws me off that one conductor is red
There are 4 restricted colors that can not be used for ungrounded conductors #6 and smaller(240/hot wire).
Neutral:
White
Gray
Ground:
Green
Bare
That means your 240 volt legs can be any color but those and since on single phase the hots are interchangeable they can both be the same color so long as the color isn't restricted.

Final note: Once up on a time a bare neutral was allowed if it was SE cable. Ithas never been allowed for NM-b.

Old 07-10-14, 10:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks Guys,

I think I'll go up there and see for myself. He might have given me some bad info.

I'll open the panel and see what's going on.

I'm familiar with the 3-wire grandfathered rule.