House power outage backup system

Old 07-11-14, 02:01 PM
House power outage backup system

In the last couple years the house power outage in our home become more frequent (almost every year verse once per 6 years). We are thinking about back up power outage and not sure which system to use better. We rejected the whole house stand by generator because it requires additional propane gas tank installation, its noise and maintenance. We thought about roof solar panels or solar shingles with backup batteries but it is very expensive (our state doesn't have solar incentive program) and the solar company told us that we have to change our roof (it is 18 years old and we thought to have it for another 10 years) that is increases the cost by another $10000 at least. Which option is more cost effective solar panels or solar shingles? We are not sure that power outage back up system is worth so much money to spend. The longest outage we had so far was after Sandy - 4 days. It cost us about $550-600 including hotel and clean up refrigerator. But the solar electricity could be use every day and we have frequent sunshine. The second option is inverter with charger and with batteries. According to our utility company bill we are using average 360kwh per month. Is it possible to calculate like 12kwh per day? If we will use a half of that (6kwh) in case of power outage how many batteries and what kind of batteries we would need to provide two days of power outage? What is a lifespan of such battery system? How much it may cost us to construct such system? What is involved? Is it better and cheaper than solar panels? Are there any other options except wind and generators? Are there any better recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-14, 02:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Battery systems are not for power outages per se. I don't understand your reluctance to have a standby generator in such instances. They self check every week, and are always available in the worst situations. Yeah, you will need a propane tank, but, gee, it has a purpose. If you don't like the looks of the tank, you can always get one buried for an additional cost.

Old 07-11-14, 04:10 PM
You are going to spend way more for a battery or solar based backup option than you ever will installing and maintaining a standby generator.

Old 07-11-14, 04:19 PM
Group Moderator
If you were moving away from the grid and going solar would be one thing but for standby power..... not cost effective. Batteries are still an issue in solar storage systems.

I have a Honda 5K that sits in my driveway under an overhang. I installed a 100A manual transfer switch. It takes me 5 minutes to roll it from the shed to the driveway and plug it in.
I consider this a very cost effective backup system. If I had a sump pit and a water problem in my basement then I would have chosen a different route but since I have no water or even a pit... I'm good.