At a loss on bathroom plugs

Old 07-12-14, 11:58 AM
At a loss on bathroom plugs

We've been in our house about 10. House is 12 years old. We've had no issues until about a year ago.

One night before bed our 6 year old daughter decided to put a pair of tweezers into one of the two outlets by the sink. Never has she done anything like this. Luckily everything worked like it was suppose to and the GFCI kicked and other than being scared to death she was fine.

I tried resetting the outlets and the one she used the tweezers on never worked again.

I replaced both outlets on the wall by the sink after the incident. However the one that my daughter played with has never worked since.

Also, sometime in the past year our darn garden tubs jets quit working. We rarely use it and my wife went to clean it and realized it wouldn't turn on at all.

Today I went back to the store and bought a new gfci outlet. Came home tried it and nothing. Went back to the store and ask some questions.... The guy told me that I shouldn't have two GFCI outlets next to each other with them feeding into one another. I had no clue. It was like that when we bought the house and the inspector never said anything. He told me to get a regular plug and try it. I came home and hooked the regular plug up and....nothing.

Outlet A -works fine. It's a GFCI. I'm 99% sure it feeds outlet B.
Outlet B -encountered tweezers. I've now tried three plugs and nothing works. There also is no power when I connect a voltmeter to it.

Any ideas???

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-14, 12:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would suggest first checking all circuit breakers to be sure that one you would least expect has not kicked.

Second, start looking for and re-setting all other GFCI's in the house - and maybe outside as well. I suspect that there is one which tripped the garden tub and maybe the second bath outlet as well.

Have you tried checking continuity between the load side of the good bath GFCI and the second receptacle?

Old 07-12-14, 12:37 PM
Group Moderator
When you removed the defective receptacle.... were the wires connected to the A receptacle or did they enter the box on their own ?

Old 07-12-14, 12:52 PM
Group Moderator
Or was there a red, black, and white wire?