30 amp 240 volt outlet ground or neutral wire

Old 07-12-14, 10:54 PM
30 amp 240 volt outlet ground or neutral wire

I picked up a 240v 30 amp outlet. The box says non grounding. I am running 10-3 using the red and black as lines. I am a bit confused whether I should use the neutral wire or the ground wire. The plug has an L shape where the neutral or ground goes.The diagram shows the neutral going to L shaped terminal. But I am not sure if that if it is 120v? Does it make a difference since the ground and neutral bars are tied together in the panel?

5207 > Power Receptacles > Straight Blade Wiring Devices > Electrical Wiring Devices > Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products

The wire diagram at there website looks like its using the ground but the box says neutral...

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-14, 11:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What is the usage of this receptacle? Most receptacles require grounding.

Old 07-13-14, 12:08 AM
The receptacle is being used to power a control box. The box has 4 15 amp outlets that are controlled through a relay. It is being used to control some lights.

http://www.generatorsforhomeuse.us/w...nema10-30r.jpg

http://www.galesburgelectric.com/ima...ng-diagram.jpg

Last edited by Nate_; 07-13-14 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-13-14, 01:55 AM
That receptacle was used in the old standard wiring for clothes dryers where a specific exception to the NEC allowed for a combined neutral and equipment ground when wired to a service panel. It now can ONLY be used for replacement in grandfathered circuits.

Assuming that the four 15 ampere circuits in your "control box" are 120 volt circuits that receptacle is NOT allowable for feeding the box. You need a four-prong receptacle with a matching plug along with a four conductor flexible cable for the two "hot" conductors, the neutral conductor and the ground conductor. The neutral conductor MUST be either white or grey and the equipment ground conductor MUST be green.

Old 07-13-14, 09:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Standard receptacles are limited to 20 amp maximum. You will need to reduce the size of the over current device ahead of the receptacles.