Installing octagonal electrical box no stud

Old 07-13-14, 11:24 PM
Installing octagonal electrical box no stud

I'm trying to install a new light fixture in my bathroom. The directions call for the fixture mounting plate to be attached to an octagonal electrical box. Whoever built the home just has the wire sticking out of the wall, no box. The location where the box needs to be installed is not close enough to a stud for me to attach it. The fixture is pretty heavy with 3 glass shades so it needs to be attached to something solid.

I'm uploading some pics and hoping someone can give me some advice on what I need to do and how to do it. The brown line on the left is a stud, the blue line on the right is the edge of the wall. The long black line is where the top of the mirror needs to be and the short black line is where the top of the fixture needs to be. The gray box is roughly where the electrical box needs to be installed. The drywall is 1/2" thick. I have about 6" of depth behind the wall. Any questions please let me know and thanks for the help any would be appreciated.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-14, 04:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! The first problem I see is the cable is too short. If it can't be extended to the box area, a new cable needs to be run. While running the cable you can cut the area of your box location to match this old work box, which should suffice for your fixture. Cantex, 18 cu. in. PVC Ceiling Box, REZ18CO at The Home Depot - Tablet