breaker swtich/gfci issue.

Old 07-15-14, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
breaker swtich/gfci issue.

Ive recently had multiple gfci outlets go bad. It all started when I went to flip the light switch in the garage, and it popped as if i blew the bulb or tripped the breaker, upon looking nothing was tripped, and i flipped them all to be sure, I then noticed multiple dead gfci's, one out on the deck, one in the main bath, and one in the master bath. They are most likely all on the same breaker. I tried changing all of the gfci outlets, and the original light swtich that i flipped, and nothing. After taking the breaker panel cover off (whoever wired the house didn't label anything of course), There is one breaker switch that I flipped off, but didn't find anything in the house shut off, so im hoping that these gfcis are connected to this. The breaker switch looks newer than the rest, and the wire coming off it almost looks partially melted. I'm wondering if it could be miss wiring that caused this, or maybe a faulty breaker switch. Any suggestions? I've tested all the gfcis that are out, and theres no power at all

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-14, 09:08 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I then noticed multiple dead gfci's, one out on the deck, one in the main bath, and one in the master bath. They are most likely all on the same breaker.
If those other GFCIs are on the load side of the first GFCI then that is against best practice. Multiple GFCIs can interfere with each other and it complicates trouble shooting. If the multiple GFCIs are on the load side of the first GFCI replace with non GFCI receptacles. May not solve the problem but it will make troubleshooting easier.
I've tested all the gfcis that are out, and theres no power at al
Did you test using a multimeter, preferably analog? Did you disconnect the wires before testing? Did you test hot to both neutral and ground. (Note: Non contact testers won't work for this. Test lights or solenoid testers are acceptable but less precise.)

Terminology: It is breaker not breaker switch.

Old 07-15-14, 09:20 AM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
It looks like Ray is on the right track, but in the end, if it turns out to be a bad circuit breaker, it appears you have a CH series Cutler-Hammer panel and the CH series breakers with the tan colored handles carry a lifetime warranty.