Power outage to Stove and outlets

Old 07-16-14, 04:52 AM
Power outage to Stove and outlets

Hi,
Iím probably going to call an electrical but thought I would ask why the following happens.

I had a power outage in live in guest apt that has a stove (240/50amp). The stove lost power along with several outlets in this room but not all outlet lost power.

When this apt was built, it was put on a different circuit breaker box separated from the main house breaker box and this STOVE does have a dedicated line.

This is crazy!

I thought I lost power to the stove, but when I turn on a stove burner, it made whistle type noise, and all the outlets work again. ????? Keep in mind that the burner also gets hot. So I am still getting power to the stove.

When I turn off the burner, I lose power to the same outlets. How can that be when the STOVE is on a dedicated line?

I turned off the stove breaker but the outlets that lost power still don't work.

What causes this to happen? Could it be that the 50amp socket that the stove plugs into is bad?

Is there something I can test?

Thank you,
JAG

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-14, 05:05 AM
Group Moderator
I wonder if one leg of the power to your guest cottage is broken or disconnected. Turning on the stove transfers power to back feed the other leg that is providing power to your trouble outlets. Probably a good time to call a professional electrician.

Old 07-16-14, 05:20 AM
Wow! OK.

I knew it would get complicated. Maybe it's something to do with a sub feed from the main house.

Yes I'll have a pro come over. I thought it might be something simple. I don't like to play around with power.

thank you,

JAG

Old 07-16-14, 05:29 AM
Group Moderator
Agree with Dane you have probably lost a leg. Power to the subpanel must be turned off till fixed because it can cause high voltage on 120 receptacles and damage things plugged in.

Have you turned the breaker at the main panel supplying the subpanel all the way off then on? If that doesn't fix it then you need to test the voltage across circuit breaker in the main panel that supplies the subpanel and the two hot wires coming into the subpanel. If there is a main breaker in the subpanel that is where you test. Voltage tests should show 240 volts Ī10% across the hots.. (A non contact tester won't work.)

Have you noticed any problems in the main house?

Old 07-16-14, 06:15 AM
Thanks a MILLION!!

RAY!

Your a genius and apparently know your stuff.

I turned off and on the Main breaker as well as all the sub feed breakers and presto!!! back to normal.

That was a nice do it yourself job by just resetting the breakers.

Wow! I thought I would take a shot in the dark and ask and I hit the right forum!!!! This has never happened before and now I know what to do!!

I guess it happened due to being so Hot and humid in CT with all the AC's going.

Many Many thanks for having me reset everything!! You saved me lot of $$$$

thank you,

JAG

Old 07-16-14, 06:31 AM
Group Moderator
Glad we could help. Thanks for letting us know.