Adding Outlet to Junction Box

Old 07-16-14, 12:20 PM
Adding Outlet to Junction Box

I have a junction box outside that encloses terminal blocks that join conductors feeding a 50 amp subpanel some distance away. It's a 4 wire feed (i.e., including separate EGC). I'd like to install a 20 amp convenience outlet at the junction box. I have three questions.

(1) Can I assume that there is no code related prohibition to tapping into the terminal blocks to supply a convenience outlet if I provide proper overcurrent protection for the outlet?

(2) Can I use a small equipment disconnect (a fused one) for the outlet's overcurrent protection?

(3) Can the conductors from the terminal blocks to the supply side of overcurrent device be sized for the 20 amp rating of the outlet, or do they need to be sized for the 50 amp circuit that they are coming off of?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-14, 07:21 PM
(1) Can I assume that there is no code related prohibition to tapping into the terminal blocks to supply a convenience outlet if I provide proper overcurrent protection for the outlet?

(2) Can I use a small equipment disconnect (a fused one) for the outlet's overcurrent protection?

(3) Can the conductors from the terminal blocks to the supply side of overcurrent device be sized for the 20 amp rating of the outlet, or do they need to be sized for the 50 amp circuit that they are coming off of?
Yes, you can tap power from this circuit using the tap rule. I am providing a link that covers 5 rules regarding feeder taps.

Understanding the Rules for Feeder Taps | Code Basics content from Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine

Old 07-19-14, 10:57 PM
Thanks CJ. Exactly what I was looking for.