How can I add an outlet to a bathroom with no outlets?

Old 07-16-14, 07:47 PM
How can I add an outlet to a bathroom with no outlets?

I'm installing a bidet for my grandparents soon an they have no outlet in their bathroom. There are light switches in the bathroom. On the opposite side of the wall of that bathroom is another bathroom. I'm pretty sure there is an outlet either directly opposite where I need it or opposite and a few feet away. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-14, 08:33 PM
Group Moderator
Under current code a bathroom must have a dedicated GFCI protected receptacle. If the 20 amp circuit supplies only one bathroom the lights may be on the same circuit. More then one bathroom it can not be used for lights.
On the opposite side of the wall of that bathroom is another bathroom. I'm pretty sure there is an outlet either directly opposite where I need it or opposite and a few feet away
If it is 20 amps, serves only the bathroom, and has nothing but receptacles on it then it can be used. The fact there is no receptacle in a bathroom leads me to believe this is an older house and those requirements won't be met. If that is the case you need to run a new circuit from the breaker box.

Old 07-17-14, 07:19 PM
The house is from the late 80's. Definitely only light switches in the one bathroom; the other has lights and receptacles. However, the bathroom i want to add a receptacle to is part of a larger master bath that has a bathtub outside it and a couple large sinks that have a receptacle...its just really far away.

Old 07-17-14, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
the other [bathroom] has lights and receptacles.
If they are on the same breaker you can't tap a receptacle there.

Old 07-17-14, 07:26 PM
Let me guess, running a new circuit from the breaker box is no easy task.

Old 07-18-14, 03:36 AM
Group Moderator
It depends. If you have an open basement, or crawl space, then running a new circuit can be easy(ish) However if there is no basement, the panel is full and on the outside of the house, and the bathroom is on the 2nd floor, that would make for a difficult task.

Which one do you have?

Old 07-18-14, 06:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A receptacle in a bathroom was a requirement when that house was built.