Feeding a sub-panel from outside disconnect point

Old 07-17-14, 06:47 AM
Feeding a sub-panel from outside disconnect point

We are currently finishing our basement in our 1950 house. We are doing most of the work ourselves (For what it's worth...we pulled a permit). Before we bought the house they replaced the meter and installed a 200 Amp disconnect panel outside (see picture here). From my understanding this turned the main circuit breaker panel inside the home into a sub-panel (neutral and ground are separated in this panel). After tearing everything out and upon further inspection I realized that half the circuits are overloaded and there are illegal junction/splices all over the place. I was just going to add a sub-panel from the outside disconnect point for the new circuits that I was adding but I've decided to just replace all the wiring in the house.

I've found a main circuit panel from Home Depot (200 Amp) that seems reasonably priced. If I put this in my house to replace my current inside panel this would be technically a sub-panel since the disconnect has the ground and neutrals bonded. From what I can find there isn't a two pole 200 Amp breaker than can feed the sub-panel. So is it possible to hook up this 200 Amp panel to the disconnect? Do I just need a 125 Amp double pole breaker in the disconnect to feed to the sub-panel? (I've done the calculations and 125 Amps should be fine).

Any insight would be great. Thank in advance for your help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-14, 07:01 AM
Maybe I am missing something here in the picture, but I don't see a neutral conductor from the 200 amp meter. I'd like to see another picture showing the outside main panel and the meter socket. The neutral could be bussed from the socket, but I cannot tell from the picture. Back to your question, it appears you have feed thru lugs at the bottom of each hot bus. You could connect your 200 amp feeder wiring to those lugs and the 200 amp main breaker would protect a new 200 amp feeder to a new 200 amp panel in the house.

Old 07-17-14, 08:14 AM
Thanks, that makes total sense. I can't believe I never even saw those lugs. The power meter is directly to the left of this panel so I'm guessing where the grounds are connected also runs into the power meter box where the neutral is connected. Unfortunately I won't be able to check that until tonight.

Thanks for your help!!