Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Red & Black wire functions w/ wall switch & fan control switch

Old 07-17-14, 12:18 PM

I had an contractor come out and add new wiring for a ceiling fan (previously nothing there). He wired a seperate fan control and light dimmer. I ended up not using the fan control, since fan came with remote. Only using light dimmer switch.

When I went to install the ceiling fan, I connected the black to black, white to white and grounds. Capped the red wire (from ceiling) for this partiuclar install since we will be controlling from remote.

After I made the connections the fan would not power up. So I switched out the black for the red wire. So now I have red (ceiling) to black (fan), white to white, grounds & capped black. Instantly the fan powered up.

I'm a little confused. Because I thought the black wire (from ceiling) controlled the light power switch and should go to the black fan wire. The red wire (from ceiling) controlled the fan control if it was wired and in use. Turns out it is the opposite.

Is this wired properly? Or does the seperate fan control and light switch change the wire config? Is this something I should change so wire colors match up?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-14, 12:38 PM
Group Moderator
Is this wired properly?
That depends on the wiring at the switch of which you haven't given a detailed description. Standard wiring convention (though not etches in stone) is black=constant hot and red=switched hot.
I ended up not using the fan control, since fan came with remote. Only using light dimmer switch.
If this is a factory remote and the fan has no blue wire you can not use a dimmer.

Old 07-17-14, 01:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is a preference of what colors are used for switched and constant hots. I would not worry about this.

Old 07-18-14, 02:53 PM
Thanks Guys. It's been a couple days and nothing out of the ordinary has happened . Everything working like it's suppose to. Prob just and an eletrician who likes to do things differently. Thanks pcboss, put me at ease.