Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Installed Transfer Switch, Pigtailed the wires to the Panel

Old 07-17-14, 09:52 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

While installing the transfer switch I decided to pigtail the extra length of wires instead of cutting them to length incase I decided to power a different circuit later. Is this a code violation? A possible fire hazard? At first I didn't think it was a big deal because I saw a white wire in the panel that was placed that way.

Should I just remove the extra slack and get rid of the coiled wires? Its been this way for a year without a problem. So i'm not sure why its bothering me now. Thanks for your help .

Old 07-18-14, 03:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! No, you can leave the excess wiring in the panel. Ensure it is not apt to be chafed or a panel screw driven to pinch it. Otherwise, no code violation. You have just run out of worries in your life, hence the wires bothering you. It happens. Rest easy!

Old 07-18-14, 08:54 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I read somewhere that coiling the wires can cause an increase in resistance and hence a slight increase in the wire temp. I guess it will be an insignificant amount?

Old 07-19-14, 12:43 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Coiling the wire might cause a higher impedance (essentially AC resistance) and under certain circumstances it could cause excessive heating. Electrical codes require that all work be done in a "neat and workmanlike manner" and while workmanlike is not further defined, in my opinion the excess wire simply coiled up is NOT a workmanlike manner. If it were mine I would go back and remove the excess coiled wire.

Old 07-19-14, 07:22 PM
A
Received 285 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Provided that the coiled up wire isn't crowding the panel box, I would leave it there for now.

I am guessing that added heating from the coiled up wire would be negligible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: