Florida outdoor dryer 240v move inside 2000 built home

Old 07-19-14, 01:53 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Florida outdoor dryer 240v move inside 2000 built home

My recently purchased 2000 built home had a partially enclosed garage for living space that I am converting back to a garage and need to re-wire in the 240v outlet for the dryer.

The prior owner had wired the dryer at the back of the house under a giant pergola as part of the conversion apparently. I've heard of some Florida homes doing this - wiring the washer/dryer covered outside (I'm in St. Petersburg, FL).

Wondering how then they powered the outside 240v outlet which I checked and both legs do yield 120v and then 240v across them as expected, I found that they are on the same circuit breaker as my range in the kitchen.

Although I don't plan to use the outdoor 240v outlet, is this a code violation to have it on the same breaker as the range? (I'm assuming so)

Brian in FL

Last edited by brianmi40; 07-19-14 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-19-14, 02:23 PM
Received 183 Upvotes on 165 Posts
Although I don't plan to use the outdoor 240v outlet, is this a code violation to have it on the same breaker as the range? (I'm assuming so)
If it does in fact come from the range circuit, It sounds like a code violation and a fire hazard as well. It should be disconnected immediately and cut back so it cannot be used again.

What could be the possible purpose of the lone 10 gauge black wire going into one side of the 30 amp breaker labeled for the dryer?
Where is the other end of the wire? Was the breaker turned on?

Old 07-19-14, 02:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
found the 12/3 from the original 240v install nutted and taped up
It should have been #10. It can not be used for a full size dryer.
Although I don't plan to use the outdoor 240v outlet, is this a code violation to have it on the same breaker as the range?
At least two code violations, three if the breaker isn't 20amps.[QUOTE]s the 12/3 hanging in the wall sufficient for my 240v dryer?No. Remove the mess or abandon in place and install the correct 10-3 cable from a 30 amp breaker for your dryer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: