Help with wiring an LED strip

Old 07-19-14, 12:58 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with wiring an LED strip

I've recently installed a new vanity and medicine cabinet in the bathroom. The old medicine cabinet was lighted, the new one is not. My idea was to mount a LED bar on top of the cabinet and the 24" model that I have produces plenty of light when sat on top of the medicine cabinet. My question is about hardwiring this bar to the junction box that the old cabinet's lighting was connected to.

The LED bar uses a two wire polarized plug, I know that the 'ribbed' side with the larger prong is common and the smooth, small prong side is hot. My question is, what do I do with the ground? On the old cab, which was metal, the ground was screwed into the cabinet chassis. This LED bar is all plastic, with the circuit board encased inside. It doesn't use an external transformer, the plug is a standard lamp plug with rotary switch that connects to the bar via a locking two prong Molex connector. The connection point on the bar is marked '120V AC, 0.75 Amp Max'. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-19-14, 01:17 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
My question is about hardwiring this bar to the junction box that the old cabinet's lighting was connected to. The LED bar uses a two wire polarized plug,
Then it should be wired in the way the manufacturer intended, plugged into a receptacle. Removing the plug and hard wiring would violate the UL listing. If you want to hide the receptacle you may be able to use a clock receptacle installed horizontally with the light bar hung but not permanently fastened over the clock receptacle.

Name:  detail_606192_usn_tif.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  4.0 KB

Old 07-19-14, 01:39 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
If you want to hide the receptacle you may be able to use a clock receptacle installed horizontally with the light bar hung but not permanently fastened over the clock receptacle.
Clock receptacles are starting to get hard to find, but I recently noticed that Cooper makes a recessed 15 amp duplex receptacle very similar to the old clock receptacles only it has no hook.

Old 07-19-14, 02:14 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Guess I'll have to update my terminology. Hook wouldn't be in the correct place for horizontal use any way so not a consideration. Cooper Wiring Devices 15-Amp Tamper Resistant Recessed Duplex Receptacle with Side Wiring - White-TR780W-BOX at The Home Depot

Old 07-19-14, 05:07 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I decided to just go with a slim wall mount fixture instead, using LED globe bulbs, thanks for the recommendation though.

Old 07-19-14, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 882 Upvotes on 745 Posts
Clock receptacles are getting hard to find (the one with the hook) but with the newer TV's mounting on the wall, recessed receptacles are quite common. Besides the one Joe mentioned, and Ray linked, Leviton also has a duplex recessed receptacle which I have found at big orange.

Old 07-19-14, 06:03 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Guess I'll have to update my terminology. Hook wouldn't be in the correct place for horizontal use any way so not a consideration.

Cooper Wiring Devices 15-Amp Tamper Resistant Recessed Duplex Receptacle with Side Wiring - White-TR780W-BOX at The Home Depot
I am amazed that HD sells Cooper devices, I thought they just sold Leviton devices.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: