branch circuits

Old 07-19-14, 07:24 PM
branch circuits

its common on houses now to have those breakers that have 2 hots and 1 shared neutral/120v.
I have 2 of them in my mains.
I have heard that if you ever install an off grid inverter and tie it in to your mains that you have to do away with these breakers. Since its hard to run new wire ,you would have to disconnect at least 1 wire from each breaker to keep from ever overloading the neutral which is a no go with an inverter.Thats what I was told.
That would leave some outlets dead.
what would you do to rewire those outlets if you didnt want to tear the walls open..??

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-14, 07:45 PM
Group Moderator
what would you do to rewire those outlets if you didnt want to tear the walls open
You normally don't tear open walls to run new cables. You fish the cables usually with out any damage to the walls.

Can you give us some back ground on what you want to do. Are you going off grid?

Old 07-19-14, 08:58 PM
Group Moderator
Your inverter would be required to output similar to what your electrical service is now for it to work properly and carry the entire load of your house. If it doesn't, then any 240 volt appliances you have will not work.

Old 07-20-14, 05:40 AM
its common on houses now to have those breakers that have 2 hots and 1 shared neutral/120v.
That would be two single pole breakers or one 2 pole breaker. Multiwire branch circuits with a common neutral have been very common for at least the past 60 - 70 years. What type of breaker are you referring to that is now so common in newer houses? Are you talking about a single pole tandem breaker?