Temporary Cabin/Tiny Home wiring

Old 07-21-14, 02:47 PM
Temporary Cabin/Tiny Home wiring

Neighbors purchased a 200 sq ft prefabricated cabin/trailer on their land. It is considered a ‘temporary’ property. It is out of town.

Today I installed 2 seperate GFCI’s on the service pole, everything is up to code. Right now the pole sits about 15 fit from the prefabricated cabin.

They want two different circuits inside of the cabin, both for outlets. Honestly the easiest thing to do would be run an extension cord from each GFCI into the cabin, and plug a surge protector/power strip into them.

City code states they can not have a permanent cable running from the pole to the cabin; thats why there are now two GFCI outlets on the pole. A gentleman at the city hall recommended they wire it like an RV. Basically I must plug into the outdoor GFCI outlets to feed the cabin.

They asked if it would be possible to: Run an extension cord to my cabin, splice the female end so it is essentially a cable running from the feeder panel. I would then wirenut to the next outlet inside of the prefabricated trailer. The problem is, I don’t feel comfortable or safe doing that with an extension cord.

Another option is to install a second subpanel inside of the cabin, and feed the two circuits off of that. But thats going to be a lot more expensive and time consuming.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-14, 02:59 PM
Group Moderator
Wire like an RV would be a sub panel in the structure wired to an inlet on the structure. At the power source a 50 amp RV receptacle would be installed. A #6 4wire cord set would be run between the two. Any GFCIs would be in the structure not at the power source.

Option #2 would be to wire as a 120 volt 30a RV. Same principle but a 30 amp 120 volt receptacle at source and # 10 cord set.

Old 07-21-14, 03:58 PM
Group Moderator
I agree with Ray. Google "RV Distribution Panel" and you will find small panels designed for space saving for RVs. This is normally fed by a cord which is plugged in to a RV outdoor receptacle.

Old 07-21-14, 04:43 PM
Awesome. This sounds great. Are there any particular brands or models you recommend of the RV panels?

Old 07-21-14, 05:21 PM
Group Moderator
I do not since I have never installed one. I have looked at them to check them out in relatives trailers. Best suggestion I can give is try to find a source that is close to where you are. That way if you need additional parts they will be easy to get and not hold up your project.

Old 07-21-14, 08:35 PM
When I wired a food trailer I mounted the panel outside and used a 50A CS6365 inlet. I'd imagine you can use the same setup.