GFCI outlet makes a single "click" sound

Old 07-21-14, 05:58 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GFCI outlet makes a single "click" sound

Our house was built in 2012. I recently noticed that one of the GFCI outlets would make a single "click" sound approximately 15 minutes after turning off the kitchen lights. The outlet does not trip, and everything continues to work. I am concerned about the click sound though, and want to make sure we don't have any major problems. Thanks for any help.

Old 07-21-14, 06:44 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Our house was built in 2012. I recently noticed that one of the GFCI outlets would make a single "click" sound approximately 15 minutes after turning off the kitchen lights. The outlet does not trip, and everything continues to work.
Your GFCI protected small appliance branch circuits along the kitchen counters should not have anything in common with the kitchen lighting circuit except for originating from the main panel. If you are really concerned about a clicking noise, try replacing the GFCI receptacle.

Old 07-21-14, 08:51 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I know it is strange and our outlets are on different breakers than the lights. We have recreated the click multiple times. Turn of the lights, wait 15 minutes, and click. Very strange.

Old 07-22-14, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 878 Upvotes on 741 Posts
Are these lights on the ceiling or are they under cabinet lights?

I would suspect the click you hear is just the plastic expanding from the heat of the lights. Perhaps try removing the plate and see if it still makes the noise. I am fairly sure it is nothing to worry about.

Old 07-22-14, 07:05 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I would suspect the click you hear is just the plastic expanding from the heat of the lights. Perhaps try removing the plate and see if it still makes the noise. I am fairly sure it is nothing to worry about.
Good idea, Tolyn. I want to add, the OP might also try turning off the breaker to the counter GFCI circuit and see if the noise is still there too. Just a thought.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: