Low Voltage Outlet

Old 07-21-14, 07:19 PM
Low Voltage Outlet

I have an outlet in my basement which I have tested with a non-contact voltage tester and the voltage is very low. We had a few electrical items running at the same time (vacuum & microwave) in the same outlet and both just shut off without blowing a fuse. I checked for all the common causes of a low voltage outlet (loose wiring, improper wiring, etc.). Did the multiple electrical items in one outlet fry the wire? How would I repair this? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-14, 07:35 PM
Group Moderator
I have an outlet in my basement which I have tested with a non-contact voltage tester and the voltage is very low.
There is no way to determine that with a non contact tester. You need a multimeter, preferably analog.

Old 07-21-14, 07:52 PM
We had a few electrical items running at the same time (vacuum & microwave) in the same outlet and both just shut off without blowing a fuse.
A vacuum and microwave will easily overload a 20 amp circuit. Is the fuse 15 or 20 amps rated? Sometimes fuses will blow and it's not readily visible through the small site glass. Did you check the fuse? Did you try a new fuse?

Old 07-21-14, 09:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The high current draw could have caused a loose or a failed connection.

Old 07-22-14, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the reply - it is actually a circuit breaker panel. The outlet overloaded but this did not trip the switch on the circuit breaker. There is simply not enough power coming from the outlet now to operate anything. I am thinking that I need to replace the actual wire to the outlet.

Old 07-22-14, 04:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
With the equipment you used, how did you determine there is "low voltage"? Why jump into a project before you check the basics as the others have suggested?

Old 07-22-14, 06:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Rarely if ever would the wiring need to be replaced. Look for a failed or loose connection.

Old 07-22-14, 07:26 AM
Group Moderator
There is simply not enough power coming from the outlet now to operate anything.
That doesn't make any sense. Do you mean there is voltage of less then 100 volts. If so how do you know. You can't determine that with a non contact tester. If your problem is low voltage changing the cable (not wire) won't fix it. As others have said it is probably a bad connection.

Old 07-22-14, 08:10 AM
it is actually a circuit breaker panel.
Then you don't have a fuse panel and didn't blow a fuse like you said.

I have an outlet in my basement which I have tested with a non-contact voltage tester and the voltage is very low
Like Ray said, you cannot check voltage with a non-contact tester.

Rarely if ever would the wiring need to be replaced. Look for a failed or loose connection.
PCboss gave you the best advice, look for a failed or loose connection in the circuit. It could be at the receptacle, at a junction box, at another receptacle or at the main panel.