Receptacle wiring burnt?

Old 07-22-14, 10:28 AM
Receptacle wiring burnt?

So I found a circuit breaker tripped the other day and traced it to this outlet. I saw very surprised when I opened it up. What would cause this? Its a 15amp circuit carrying a freezer, a small fridge for a kegerator, and ceiling lights in an unfinished basement.

My suspicion is the kegerator which is 12 years old and seems to have some big surges when it cycles. Could a bad fridge cause this?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-14, 10:51 AM
What would cause this is loose connections. I'm going to assume the screws were loose considering this looks like a 20A outlet.

Old 07-22-14, 12:21 PM
ok great to know. I thought maybe a really powerful surge from a bad/old fridge could cause it. or would that just cause a breaker to trip?

Old 07-22-14, 01:32 PM
A bad surge would trip the breaker. If it was indeed a problem with the fridge there's a thermal protector in the compressor which would most likely trip first.

Also, is there #12 and #14 in that box? Are they on the same circuit, and is that circuit a 15 or 20?

Old 07-22-14, 02:42 PM
good question, I didnt even think to check that. both outlets are on the same circuit which I believe is a 15. but i will have to confirm all of this first.

Old 07-22-14, 07:55 PM
both outlets are on the same circuit which I believe is a 15. but i will have to confirm all of this first.
Assuming you are correct and it is a 15 amp circuit and also assuming you are correct and both receptacles are on that circuit, you shouldn't have had the 20 amp receptacle on that circuit. That was a code violation, both should have been 15 amp receptacles. That being said, Justin is probably right that the cause of your problem was loose connections.

Old 07-25-14, 07:00 PM
A loose connection can overheat badly with far less than the circuit rated amperes flowing. The breaker does not trip so the overheating lasts a long time.