Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

how to do a new run for outdoor flood lights and detached garage???

Old 07-22-14, 06:32 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

There have been several break ins in my neighborhood lately, and i would like to add some motion lights to the exterior of my home and my garage. I have a detached garage that the distance from house to the front is aproximately 40 feet, The house has a brick exterior, and my back yard is two levels seperated by a 15 inch concrete retaining wall, so trenching is out of the question.

So what i would like to know is..
What type of wire do i use to run outside for the motion detectors, they will be two on the house, one in the back and one along the side, and then how would i run (and what would i use ) electrical for a motion detector mounted to the front of the garage. while i'm at it, i would like to add an outlet to the back of my house as well. Maybe even the garage.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-22-14, 08:22 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Motion detector light for the garage and receptacle for the garage wulld come off the garage circuit. Are the walls in the garage finished?

You could run cable (NM-b, AKA Romex) through the attic and into the soffit if the attic is unfinished.

Terminology:
Wire is a single conductor. It can not be used outside of a raceway such as conduit.
Cable is two or more conductors in a metallic or non metallic sheath.

Old 07-23-14, 03:47 AM
K
Yes the garage is unfinished detached, which I could run the line through the top attic of the garage but I'm asking about how to span the line a cross the yard thru the air and what to use

Old 07-23-14, 06:23 AM
I'm asking about how to span the line a cross the yard thru the air and what to use
Why do you need to do that? Doesn't the garage have electricity?

Old 07-23-14, 07:34 AM
K
No, it no longer does. It had two lines running thru the air before, old house, two lines that were bare and whenever the wind blew, the lines would cross and throw the breaker, it's so wonder the house is still there, so I had the line disconnected a couple of years ago.

Old 07-23-14, 08:41 AM
While it is possible to supply the garage with an overhead drop best practice is a buried line.

What you can do is run a 12-2 UF-b cable buried 24" . Or three #12 THWN wires (black, white, green) in PVC conduit buried 18". Or a GFCI protected cable or conduit feed buried 12".

At the shed the cable or conduit is brought into a disconnect first. A 20 amp light switch is all you need for that. If you use cable you will need to sleeve it with PVC conduit where it enters and leaves the ground (but not the buried portion of the cable). At the main panel you would use a 20 amp single poll breaker.

An overhead line could be done with UV resistant UF cable fastened to a messenger wire. A 1/8" plastic coated steel cable could be use as a messenger wire. Other requirements would be the same as for underground. A metal messenger wire would have to be bonded to the circuit. The UF cable could be fastened to the messenger wire with plastic wire ties.

Old 07-23-14, 03:23 PM
K
thanks for the info, although most of it is in another language to me haha.

As far as a buried line, that is gonna be too much work, as i said my yard is two tiered, with concrete slab on the lower tier then a 15 inch thick concrete retaining wall, for the second tier.

Let me run this plan by you for the house part, gray pvc conduit through basement wall to outside, up the exterior of the house (1st Motion light), then a "T" to go horizontally and around the corner to the side, (2nd motion light). Could i branch off that "T" and go straight accross (thru the air) to the attic part of my Garage, inside then to the front of the attic to the outside of my garage for 3rd motion light. Obviously i would need to be a certain height, to avoid ladders etc hitting the line, It is a yard so i dont have to worry about vehicles being to tall for it.

Old 07-23-14, 03:55 PM
Are you suggesting running conduit overhead to the garage? What is the distance between the garage annd the house? Conduit can not be run unsupported.

Old 07-23-14, 06:18 PM
K
Without going outside at the moment , I would say approx 15-20 feet

Old 07-23-14, 06:47 PM
Then UF cable fastened to a messenger would be you easiest solution if you can't bury a cable.
most of it is in another language to me
Please post questions on what you don't understand.

Name:  x.jpg
Views: 5066
Size:  13.6 KB

Name:  y.jpg
Views: 2326
Size:  27.1 KB

Name:  TytonNaturalWireTie.jpg
Views: 1625
Size:  3.1 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 07-23-14 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-25-14, 02:07 AM
K
Okay I got it thanks, you've been a great help.

Question do I still run the messenger wire/if through conduit, or if I don't then how do I connect that messenger wire/uf cable to the cable that will be in conduit for the house Part.

Old 07-25-14, 07:15 AM
Messenger wire is strictly for support. If overhead conduit is not used except perhaps to protect the cable after it enters the garage. No conduit is used in the house. If you come through an attic from the main breaker panel you use NM-b then transition to UF-b in a junction box at the point the outside cable begins.

If you are going to come directly from the main breaker panel to the garage post back for more instructions. You may want to consider hiring an electrician to do this. There are lots of details to get this correct and safe.

Old 07-25-14, 07:33 AM
Post moved to Electrical. You can ask about the lights in a separate thread after we get power to the garage.

Old 07-25-14, 12:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
Nicely colored guy wires Ray. I just use the basic clear.

I still install a lot of overhead feeds to buildings and signs. UF and guy wire is all I've ever used.

Name:  guy.jpg
Views: 2609
Size:  20.6 KB

Old 08-02-14, 05:53 PM
K
Okay thanks for the replies, sorry it took me so long to get back, life got in the way.

This is what i posted in another forum and may help you to understand exactly what i want to do, along with a few questions i have. Thanks again.

couple of break ins lately, and would like to make my home a little bit more visable at night.

House was built in 1927 with brick exterior and still has Knob and tube wiring in about 90% of the house. I've ran a new circuit for my basement, (for tools, etc) and added a couple of lines in living room and dinning room for my electronics etc.

What i plan to do is, to install a new breaker, run a line thru the rim joist to outside, then up the side of the house where i would need a "T" with one branch for a flood light on the side of the house, then the second branch would go to the back of the house to meet another "T" with the down branch connected to a outdoor socket, and the left end of the "T" connecting to the 2nd Flood light. (ALSO in the future i would like to add a branch ABOVE GROUND to my detached garage) but that's for later.

Name:  house_zpseaea3544.jpg
Views: 2541
Size:  21.4 KB

questions:

1. Do i need to use emt or can i do grey pvc?
2. What diameter conduit should i go with. (for either emt or pvc)
3. I have not see "T" fittings, what do i use for this junction(is this where the "conduit body" comes into play?
4. Am i even going about this the correct way?
5. How would i go about leaving access for the future expansion for the detached garage? should i just add a "T" or conduit body inline and close up till im ready to do that stage.
6. Are round electrical work boxes and flood light mounts universal/standard in diameter(meaning to connect the flood light to the electrical box)

BTW this is what i mean by conduit body...

Thank you for taking the time to read and for any help

Last edited by ray2047; 08-02-14 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Croped and enlarged image.
Old 08-02-14, 06:05 PM
½"PVC assuming you use THWN. The NM-b will have to be transitioned to outside wire or cable anyway so you might as well use THWN. UF-b would be a hard pull even through ¾" conduit. Use a Single gang surface mounted weather proof box where the NM-b is transitioned. The round boxes are standard 4".

Old 08-02-14, 08:00 PM
J
you could install a beam between the house and garage and run the conduit on or in it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: